Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pantera180 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2016, 07:37 PM
    Foreign inheritance
    Inherited stock valued over $200,000. What IRS form do I file?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2016, 08:15 PM
    If you have not SOLD any of the stock, you have NO filing requirement.

If you sold the stock, the stock's basis is the STEPPED UP value, which is the value of the stock on the date of death of the decedent. In some case, the value can be on the date that is six months AFTER the date of date. Contact the estate executor to see if that alternate date was selected.

You report the sale of the stock using Form 8949 and Schedule D.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2016, 07:20 PM
    Form 3520, Part IV
    suntaxfla Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2016, 11:59 AM
    IRS notice 97-34 refers to the "value of the aggregate foreign gifts". This suggests to me that gifts of cash, securities, foreign currency or even bananas that exceed this threshold value must be reported on form 3520. It is important to not overlook this requirement since the penalty for failure to report is harsh. I have always advised my clients "if in doubt, report". With all but arcane exceptions it is not taxable to you in the US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign inheritance via relative [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all, I (US citizen residing)received a partial foreign inheritance via a US relative(my brother). Source is proceeds from my decessed alien mother in Japan. Through her will , the house was put in my brothers name. Through 2 years of setting up POA's and a lawyer to have the house's deed...

Foreign Property Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 33 yr. oldPhilippino with an American husband (legally married in Ottawa, Canada). Yes, it's same-sex marriage. Aaanyway, my husband already made the will & stated that I will be the sole beneficiary of his properties. BUT.

Inheritance from Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

I am inheriting $400,000 from a foreign country (France). Are there tax consequences in the US when I transfer the money? What are the legal requirements for me?

Inheritance From Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Long, lost family member died in 2002 in Malaysia. I am sole surviving heir. After paying for services rendered in Malaysia for transferring the estate to me, my net gain expected to be $1.4MM. Since only $1MM is excluded from inheritance or income taxes on deaths occurring in 2002, what...

View more questions Search