Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momma5 Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2016, 05:32 PM
    Sex offender question
    I have a friend who's needing some help. She's dating a guy who was in prison for Rape. He was 18, Gf and her family at the time claimed she was 17. They dates a year and he even lived with them for several months. They got into a fight and he broke it off. She gets mad and her parents call the police. When he's arrested is when he is told she's really 15. He served 11 years and is almost off probation. Hell be a low level risk and his PO is filing paperwork to have the Sex offender registry thing removed from his record. He's not a repeat offender, just a guy that got busted doing what many guys haven't. Anyway, she's got 3 kids and she is worried that this relationship may not be able to go much further due to her children. What can she do and is there any chance this can go further without repercussions? If needing more information, I can get it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 19, 2016, 04:04 AM
    We will be spinning our wheels trying to answer questions about a friend, and it isn't even her question so much as HIS. She has to go by what the PO tells him. The terms of his parole should have already been spelled out regarding his contact with minors. There can be complications if her kids' father is in the picture, and he doesn't like her seeing the man.
    momma5 Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2016, 08:42 AM
    The PO has allowed him around children and she said that PO was working to expunge the registration part of his parole. He's classified low risk as well. PO has actually stated he should've never had to serve time for this. The girls parents were just as much to blame knowing that they knew her actual age, and allowed them to live under the same roof for approximately 8 months.

PO has allowed him around kids and has stated in his paperwork 'not a threat'. PO is going to have the registration expunged which he knows doesn't remove it completely from his record but it's not keeping him from having a life.
    PO said that if he could've had it his way, the girls parents would have faced charges because they did know the age of their daughter and allowed them to live together under the same roof for approximately
    8 months. This happened in 2005 and the "victim" still tries contacting him which he has vehemently ignored. She's sent letters and cards for 11 years to him
    Telling him how sorry she was, how she would change it allnof she could, she shouldn't have lied about her age etc.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 19, 2016, 08:50 AM
    YES, I got how unfair it all is the first time. But you asked about law under Criminal Law. And you are asking for your friend, and she is wondering for her boyfriend, and again, that is asking too much of us. It really does sound like he (and she) know all they can possibly know for now. And last but not least, I told you what one big concern could be, and you ignored it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 19, 2016, 01:19 PM
    His parole oficer saying something has no meaning. He must follow the law until his situation has changed. If he is on the list then he should know better then to choose a girlfriend that has children. Has your friend investigated the story he is telling or is this a case of denial. She risks losing her children. She needs to make a choice.
    Him or her children.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2016, 01:44 PM
    Your friend needs to research the exact circumstances of his original case and the EXACT terms of his parole. She needs to make sure the PO is not overstepping her bounds.

Only then can she proceed with this relationship.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2016, 10:12 AM
    The story sounds a bit strange. So he lived with them a year and then finds out she was only 15, meaning she was 14 when he lived with her. Her parents allowed this arrangement? Never thought about school? Depending on the state and age differences, it could be a misdemeanor or a felony. 18 years for a misdemeanor seems long and felonies are not easily expunged. "PO is going to have the registration expunged". Remember that the PO doesn't decide to expunge, that is the court and judge. All thing considered, everything you have reported is third hand and whatever you may wish to offer may or may not be accepted in a court of law.
    "If needing more information, I can get it". You seem a bit involved here-is there more to tell?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2016, 12:09 PM
    It is important where YOU are getting this information from. Is it from your friend? If so where did she get it from? Did she talk to the PO, see the trial transcript? Or is she relying on what the boyfriend is telling her?

It does sound suspicious that he would be sentenced a prison term of more than 10 years for a statutory rape offense. Even a harried public defender could have presented evidence that he was living in the home with the girl with the knowledge and permission of the parents. While he still might have been convicted, the sentence would have been a lot less. So something doesn't ring true. That's why your friend NEEDS to make sure of the facts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2016, 05:02 AM
    Why should she be worried about anything, if this is the truth?

1. I find it hard to believe that the 15 year old was not known, like going to school, and so on. But it does happen and many 18 year old goes to prision for this.

The PO has little to do with the sex offender rating, and in most states it is just mandatory and can't be deleted. But it will have to be a hearing before the judge, that his lawyer would do, not his PO.

But why would a women with kids be concerned at all ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GA sex offender question [ 1 Answers ]

My b/f has to register as a sex offender because when he was 18 he slept with a 15 yr old that claimed she was 19. Now that was 14 yrs ago. I have a daughter that's 10 and want to know if he can be around her. We are talking marriage... can my daughter and I not leave with him? This is for the...

Another sex offender moving to mexico question [ 15 Answers ]

I am registered in California and wanting to move to Mexico. Not on probation or parole either. Actually, spent time in appeals because of factual errors made by the courts, In the case, such as a lack of mention of a crime as defined by the legislature, and the criminal code. My...

I am a sex offender and I don't have a sex offense on my record. [ 4 Answers ]

I caught a kidnapping charge in North Carolina in 1998 .I broke in someone house and they shown up with a child 14yrs of age.I took her car.so I caught a armed robbery charge and I held them against their will so that's how I got the kidnapping charge.I did 8yrs and when I got out I had to regester...

Sex offender [ 1 Answers ]

If you are a reg. sex offender for inticing a chold for indecient purposes can you be around children or computers in the state of Georgia?

Sex offender [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ohio... My daughter is 18 and she met this guy who is 32 and it turns out he is a sexual offender... Is there an age limit or something I can do about it?? I heard that she has to be 21 is that only if he is on probation??

View more questions Search