Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tejeshjadhav Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2016, 12:14 AM
    PC powers On but don't Boot
    My PC is not booting up! Since 5-6 months...
    Today morning I tried to start it again and after 4-5 attempts it started nornally once but again after restarting it stopped booting.
    The CPU fan turns up, The MoBo standby LED turns on, HDD is spinning but there is no signal on monitor nor any type of post or beep!
    I tried disassembling all parts then assembled one by one but still no use. All the connections are correct and proper.
    I don't think there's problem with PSU as I tested all rail voltages and they are approximately correct!
    The CMOS battery is also new. I even tried to start PC in BIOS recovery (by removing jumper) and it posts "system halt" and beeps continuous...
    The Rams are clean and proper.
    I am not getting what the problem is!

I have : Intel D101ggc MoBo
    Pentium 4 2.66 GHz processor
    2 x Transcend DDR3 1gb RAM
    Seagate 80 GB HDD
    Iball ATX Smps
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 17, 2016, 05:34 PM
    Have you tested the HD for failure issues? Does your MB have onboard video ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2016, 06:06 PM
    Do you get the usual display on the monitor during post BEFORE it tries to boot into the O/S?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tejeshjadhav View Post
    My PC is not booting up! Since 5-6 months...
    Today morning I tried to start it again and after 4-5 attempts it started nornally once but again after restarting it stopped booting.
    The CPU fan turns up, The MoBo standby LED turns on, HDD is spinning but there is no signal on monitor nor any type of post or beep!
    I tried disassembling all parts then assembled one by one but still no use. All the connections are correct and proper.
    I don't think there's problem with PSU as I tested all rail voltages and they are approximately correct!
    The CMOS battery is also new. I even tried to start PC in BIOS recovery (by removing jumper) and it posts "system halt" and beeps continuous...
    The Rams are clean and proper.
    I am not getting what the problem is!

I have : Intel D101ggc MoBo
    Pentium 4 2.66 GHz processor
    2 x Transcend DDR3 1gb RAM
    Seagate 80 GB HDD
    Iball ATX Smps
    Hi,

I was looking at the components of your system. They're REALLY old. I think it might have just died because of old age. I know this isn't useful, but I don't think there is a way to get it back.

Mar 19, 2016, 01:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Do you get the usual display on the monitor during post BEFORE it tries to boot into the O/S?
    It actually don't boot at all! i.e.. No post at all
    Monitor just goes in power saving mode!

Mar 19, 2016, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Have you tested the HD for failure issues? Does your MB have onboard video ?
    I guess HD is absolutely fine cause it worked fine the time PC get booted
    (on that morning)!

What do u mean by onboard video?! My MoBo geta VGA port. Nothing else of kind of "Onboard Video!"

Mar 19, 2016, 01:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    Hi,

I was looking at the components of your system. They're REALLY old. I think it might have just died because of old age. I know this isn't useful, but I don't think there is a way to get it back.
    Actually I want to get a new system but the only reason I am not getting it is "MONEY". Its not economically possible for me to spend $225 for a good gaming PC!

And about the components, they are physically all right they work very well but there is some component which is causing problem...

So others please try to sort out what the problem may be and how to just fix the problem...

May it be Old but sadly, I still cant dump it!
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2016, 11:43 AM
    On-board video would be a work around if the video card failed. But if you was getting anything on the monitor, then the card was likely OK.

I think the motherboard has gone to the great electronic scrap pile in the sky.

The dielectric filter caps used on most computers have a finite lifespan... and its likely exceeded it. Those are the most likely to fail...and when they fail they will almost always cause other components to fail. Because dielectric capacitors usually short out internally when they get old and dry out.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 19, 2016, 01:12 PM
    If you know someone with a video card that is working and you can install in your system then I would try that and see if anything comes up. From your description your onboard video could have died.

Mar 20, 2016, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    On-board video would be a work around if the video card failed. But if you was getting anything on the monitor, then the card was likely OK.

I think the motherboard has gone to the great electronic scrap pile in the sky.

The dielectric filter caps used on most computers have a finite lifespan... and its likely exceeded it. Those are the most likely to fail...and when they fail they will almost always cause other components to fail. Because dielectric capacitors usually short out internally when they get old and dry out.
    The Caps seem to b fine no swollen caps

I doubt the problem may be with SMPS..

Do u know any method to test the SMPS?

Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    If you know someone with a video card that is working and you can install in your system then I would try that and see if anything comes up. From your description your onboard video could have died.
    But in case if the video card had died, then the PC should at least give a starting single beep which it usually does!
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2016, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tejeshjadhav View Post
    The Caps seem to b fine no swollen caps

I doubt the problem may be with SMPS..

Do u know any method to test the SMPS?

But in case if the video card had died, then the PC should at least give a starting single beep which it usually does!
    As far as testing those... swollen doesn't always equal bad. Usually but not always.

Also you would need special test equipment and they would have to be removed to test them.

If you ever looked at the output of a switching Power-supply absent serious filtering.. with an Oscilloscope, it looks like anything but DC. And it really doesn't take much to kill the motherboard. They really are easy to kill.

And then if almost anything fails it can leave you dead in the water. Also without detailed schematics AND some very expensive test equipment, its like dropping someone blindfolded into the Middle of NY city that's never been out of a small town in Canada, and expect them to find a specific address without a map.

Even a very experienced Electronics tech couldn't do it.

There are layer upon layer of tracks like you see on the top and bottom sandwiched in the middle.

Throwing money at on old system is throwing good money after bad... have you considered picking up a used system, or a refurbished one which I've seen as low as $130 for a P4 Core2, Dell with a fresh O/S installed.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 24, 2016, 08:39 AM
    Testing the power supply rails may not be enough. Most supplies have (blue if I remember correctly) a power on self test connection on them. If the power on self test fails, the power supply will not deliver power to the board. When you short out a supply for testing (any black to a green line) with a paper clip for testing, it bypasses the power on self test. What the power on test does is sends a signal to the motherboard which then sends a signal back to the supply telling it to go to full power. It's always nice to have a spare supply on hand so if your willing to spend a few bucks to test, it will still come in handy later on. And if your considering building your own PC for your next system the supply could be your first investment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Macbook won't boot after safe boot mode [ 1 Answers ]

An intel-based Macbook running the latest version of Leopard will not boot after a safe boot. I held down shift to perform the safe boot. It apparently ran the diagnostics etc, and then came up with Safe Boot in red like it should. I then restarted and now I can't get past the gray Apple screen. It...

GPO applied on 2nd boot, not on 1st boot [ 1 Answers ]

I am deploying IE7 via a GPO in a Windows 2003 domain. The policy works fine. But only on a second boot of the Windows XP clients. (WindowsXP only environment). This seems totally silly to me. Shouldn't all policies be applied on every boot? :confused: How can I force the policy to be applied on...

National powers, Implied powers, Inherent powers [ 6 Answers ]

What is meant by expressed national powers? Implied powers? Inherent powers? How have each of these powers contributed to expansion of the national government?

Computer powers on but will not boot [ 20 Answers ]

My computer will power on but nothing happens after even with the xp cd in the drive and I have the bios to boot from cd rom I'm thinking it could be the bios chip the motherboard is SY-7VBA-133 thanks for any help

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

View more questions Search