Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matthew Smith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2016, 07:01 PM
    Pros and cons of putting a friend's car in your name
    What are the pros and cons of me putting a friend's car in my name? What things couple go wrong where trouble could come back on me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2016, 07:14 PM
    Does he owe money on it?
    Matthew Smith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2016, 07:16 PM
    No it's paid for and they have a license.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 16, 2016, 07:20 PM
    Why do you need it in your name?

I can't think of any pros.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2016, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Why do you need it in your name?

I can't think of any pros.
    Or vice versa -- why does the friend need it in someone else's name?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2016, 07:36 PM
    Liability in an accident or comprehensive or collision loss are cons. Who will have insurance and who will pay the insurance. Insurance company may argue it is a leased vehicle and primary liability may be different.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 17, 2016, 04:04 AM
    I'll answer when you tell us the reason. There are PLENTY of reasons for not doing it. NONE for doing it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 17, 2016, 06:21 AM
    You want pros and cons, you need more details to this saga to answer the question of what is your friend hiding by putting his car in your name? You realize that you become at least partly financially and legally responsible for whatever happens to this car right?

Forget the debate, it's simply a LOUSY idea.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2016, 06:22 AM
    There is no good reason for doing it.
    I can see they are perhaps hiding an assets for some illegal reason.
    If under certain ages, they are trying to defraud an insurance company for lower rates.
    Perhaps they don't live in that area and want to keep the tags in another state

I can think of a lot of bad and illegal or unethical reasons, No good reasons
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 17, 2016, 09:28 AM
    The main issues in my view is insurance. You would have to pay the insurance, which would list you as the owner and primary user of the car. Insurance policies do allow you to occasionally lend your car to someone who is not a member of your household, but your friend could not be the principal user of the car. If he gets in an accident and hurts someone you will be sued for damages, and your insurance won't protect you if they learn that your friend is using the car more than just occasionally.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2016, 09:54 AM
    As everyone pointed out so well... there is absolutely no good reason for it to be in your name and every Bad reason why you should never even consider it. He could do something stupid in it that YOU cold be legally held responsible for paying for the rest of your natural life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2016, 12:32 PM
    My suspicion is that your friend has had too many accidents and can't get insurance under his name or its very expensive. That's the only reason I can think of why he wants to do it.

But, as pointed out, if the carrier finds out he is the primary user of the car, they can void the insurance and that would leave you liable for an damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pros and Cons of PT vs FT [ 11 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I’ve been doing Administrative work for over 13 years and recently obtained my BA in Business Administration- Acquisitions and Contract Management. I’ve work permanent part time a little over 3 years for the same company (IT Consulting Firm). Now that I have my BA I want to venture...

What are the pros and cons of being a mechanic? [ 4 Answers ]

I am NOT a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoy working on my vehicles. It is a great since of satisfaction to fix something with your own hands. I am considering taking some classes at the local community college. Is this a good idea? Could this be a good career move,...

Pros-cons of putting metal roof over existing shingles [ 2 Answers ]

Would there be problems with moisture,or extreme heat issues if installing a metal roof over existing shingles.

What are the Pros and Cons? [ 2 Answers ]

What are Pros and Cons If you finish a Bachelors in Nursing: In the Philippines (4years) Or In the US (LPN to RN to BSN) I am also considering the cost, landing a good job, quality of education and other factors.

DirecTv Pros and Cons [ 5 Answers ]

I switched from Dishnetwork who I was a customer with for almost 4 years to DirecTv a few months ago. I was fed up with the constant technical problems from DishNet and they didn't want to fix anything. I like DirecTv so far because they own the equipment so if anything breaks, then they are...

View more questions Search