Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kristofer Posts: 18, Reputation: 1
    -

Mar 14, 2016, 07:12 AM
    Has lead really been banned?
    I've heard that lead (pronounced like lede) has been banned, but I think it's still out there. Has it really been banned.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 14, 2016, 08:51 AM
    In the US, lead is banned in many products and applications, but not all. This is a good topic to read about in wikipedia so that we don't have to write a whole article for you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2016, 12:15 PM
    If they ban it you won't start your car since all batteries have lead. Tire weights have lead. Fishing weights, readily available ,contain lead. Bridge paint and similar use items can contain lead. It is banned in most paints and finishes that might be used in residential applications.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 14, 2016, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    If they ban it you won't start your car since all batteries have lead. Tire weights have lead. Fishing weights, readily available ,contain lead. Bridge paint and similar use items can contain lead. It is banned in most paints and finishes that might be used in residential applications.
    Banned substance in bottom coat paints for sailing vessels.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 15, 2016, 05:54 AM
    Lead is banned in many parts of the world for certain applications. In the US the use of lead has been banned from paint and as an additive in gasoline for over 30 years. In the European Union it has been illegal to use tin-lead solder in most electronics since 2007, where most products must conform with directives called RoHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances) and REACH (Registration, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals). China has a similar program to RoHS, at least in theory - but China being the way it is, let's just say it's selectively enforced. So now most electronics products manufactured anywhere in the world are made without tin-lead solder. There are exceptions that do allow certain uses of lead, such as in batteries, but anyone marketing such products must establish or help pay for a recycling program to keep these materials out of land fills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ma'am should be banned [ 28 Answers ]

Obviously no body likes to be called ma'am then why people using it? Women especially like to call other women with this ma'am thing just to piss you off. I think it should be considered offensive, banned and agist, I know some will say it is just respect term but no I do not think so because...

How thick is the lead in a lead joint [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting ready to take the Indiana pluming test and I was wanting to know how thick the lead Is suppose to be in the hub of the cast iron.

View more questions Search