Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blue0000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2016, 11:04 PM
    Smelly Guinea pig help!!
    Does anyone have any ideas of how to cut down on the smell that my Guinea pigs have? I change their fleece very often and spray the room with air freshener very often. Would a deodorize spray help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2016, 05:01 AM
    First, they just smell. How often is often, every two or three days?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2016, 05:53 AM
    What do you use for bedding? Spot cleaning is important but cleaning/changing the bedding is more important since it's the urine that usually gives the smell you are referring to.
    Don't spray the room, that may not be healthy for them.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 14, 2016, 07:47 PM
    Do you use pine shavings? I did and would clean out the corners where they'd usually pee/poo every day. My cage never smelled and the Guinea pigs smelled like shavings.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2016, 09:38 PM
    I use a mixture of pine and cedar shavings for my bunnies, and it's amazing. I do a spot clean every day, just the corner they pee or poo in. Once every two weeks I do an entire bedding change, wash out the entire cage and replace all the shavings. At one point I had 4 rabbits all in the house, and we never smelled them at all. No one coming to visit knew we had rabbits until they saw them.

Cage size is also important. Buy the biggest cage you can so they have more room and more places to mess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea pig!! [ 12 Answers ]

I took in a Guinea pig that was not being well taken care of. I don't really know much about this animal though. I researched the care of the little guy (food bedding & things) but he/she doesn't seem very happy. Ive had him for about a month and try to handle him as much as possible to get him...

Guinea pig help [ 0 Answers ]

My guinea pig had a litter of 3 but sadly one was a still born and was dead before it was even born. They are both 2 days old coming close to three. One isn't feeding, has watery eyes, and looks quite tired. We decided to feed the weak baby evaporated milk with lukewarm water, fed with a...

New Guinea Pig [ 9 Answers ]

Hey everyone. So aylas special buy from our tax return was a pet guinea pig. She wanted a kitten but we can't have pets except caged animals, and I didn't want a bunny so she picked a guinea pig. We got him on Friday, he is healthy and clean. But he is still simply hiding under his...

Guinea Pig [ 5 Answers ]

My guinea pig is always pooing( seriously) if I want to hold him I have to have a paper towel on my lap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guinea Pig [ 3 Answers ]

Yeh I had 2 male guinea pigs and 1 died they were just over 1 and I'm not sure what to do because I no the other 1 s v.lonely someone said I should have it put down I'm not sure if I buy a new one would they fight?

View more questions Search