Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissMeow1992 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2016, 02:18 PM
    How can I stop my 3 cats from fighting?
    So I have 3 cats indoors and 2 outdoors. My problem is with the ones indoors, 2 males and 1 female. The 2 males are about 4 years old and the female is about 2 years old, and they have gotten along just fine all their lives, but just recently, the 2 males got into a huge fight, and we had to separate them in different rooms for a few days. When we tried to let them around each other again, they started the fighting again the second they saw each other. So we have had to keep them separated permanently, but one day, one of the cats accidentally got let into the room with the other, and all hell broke loose once again, but this time, the female got jumped on too. We eventually got them all broke up, but now none of them can be near any of the others without tearing each other apart. We are now having to keep all 3 of them separated, and it's extremely difficult to keep them from getting into the room with another one, so it's making them and us miserable. I can't explain how much I love my cats, and I can't imagine having to get rid of any of them. I'm a stressed out mess right now from worrying about them. Can anyone please give me some kind of solution to this heartbreaking problem?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2016, 03:03 PM
    Have they all been neutered?

Mar 13, 2016, 03:12 PM
    No, unfortunately we haven't had the money to get any of them fixed, but we are trying to find somewhere to get it done that won't be too expensive. I really wish we could afford it but we can barely afford to pay for groceries and utility bills, so I don't think it will be possible anytime soon.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2016, 03:18 PM
    Contact your closest humane society... they can help you out with obtaining low cost spay and neutering. Do this as soon as possible so that you don't end up with additional cats; making your financial situation more of a strain.
    They can also help with obtaining necessary vaccinations and health checks... which, the lack of may also play a potential role in their behaviour.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2016, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMeow1992 View Post
    No, unfortunately we haven't had the money to get any of them fixed, but we are trying to find somewhere to get it done that won't be too expensive. I really wish we could afford it but we can barely afford to pay for groceries and utility bills, so I don't think it will be possible anytime soon.
    That's the reason for the scuffling. Check with an area animal shelter or two for low-cost neutering. And please, keep the cats indoors! You are littering the world with more unwanted kittens!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2016, 04:17 PM
    Humane society is the best place to start. Most humane societies will spay or neuter for cheaper than a vet. You can set up a payment plan, that's what our humane society does. You pay whatever you can every week or month, and once the entire amount is paid, you bring your cats in for the surgery.

You might also want to check out local vets online. There's a vet near me that does a yearly free spay and neuter clinic for barn cats. She does around 70 cats in one day, all for free once a year.

I do think that having them fixed would go a long way in helping with their fighting. I totally understand that it's expensive, and not always affordable, but please do check into the options we've listed.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2016, 04:24 PM
    And this is the time of year when intact cats start families. Our cat shelter's kitten season begins soon when they are swamped with pregnant queens and newborn litters.

Mar 14, 2016, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's the reason for the scuffling. Check with an area animal shelter or two for low-cost neutering. And please, keep the cats indoors! You are littering the world with more unwanted kittens!
    The female and 2 males who are fighting are strictly indoor cats. The 2 male cats I have that are strictly outdoor cats haven't been fixed either, they were strays that we took in who came to our porch hungry and needing love, but the 3 who are fighting are only indoor cats and have never been outside.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2016, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMeow1992 View Post
    The female and 2 males who are fighting are strictly indoor cats. The 2 male cats I have that are strictly outdoor cats haven't been fixed either, they were strays that we took in who came to our porch hungry and needing love, but the 3 who are fighting are only indoor cats and have never been outside.
    Is the indoor female not spayed and the two indoor males intact? If so, certainly you can see what's going on. She's probably in heat and the males are wanting to mate (probably already have mated) with her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop fighting with each other? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 8 yrs. It has been very rough. I came with a son and we have 3 more together. I was in a very violent relationship with my oldest ones father. My now husband has been violent also. Not in the past 2-2/12 yrs. He does call a lot of names and says things like:...

Cats Fighting [ 4 Answers ]

We have 4 cats that all seemed to get along for the most part. The pecking order has been established and things were peaceful. We "needed" to get a kitten and when we brought it in the house, there was the usual hissing and growling from all. I am used to this as I have seen it before and after...

Husband is fighting over cats in divorce. What can I do? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I were together for 6 years and married for a year and a half. We got two cats from a friend of ours and have had them since they were born. We have not fought over anything in the divorce except when I said that I got an attorney. Not even a minute later he says that he wants the...

Fighting Cats [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I posted a question here a few months ago about my two cats fighting. We have two in-door cats, one we have had for many years now, and the other one we got a year ago as a 6 week old kitten. The older was fixed when we first got him, but the younger one was fixed about two or three...

Fighting cats! [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 year old female cat that has been fixed and a 4 year old male cat that has also been fixed. So they have lived together since my male cat was a baby. They got along very well, giving each other baths and sleeping together. About a couple of weeks ago my male cat started to attack my...

View more questions Search