Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myelectric Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2016, 07:41 PM
    How do I install aligh fixture with red wires in the ceiling
    I know what the black and white wires are but not the red wire
    I'm trying toin stall my new track light but there are red wires as well as black & white wires please help
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2016, 11:28 PM
    The red wire is the live wire, do not touch it without insulating gloves and turn off the power before you do anything. Don't take anything for granted with electricity and if your electrical knowledge is this poor you should call a contractor
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 13, 2016, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    The red wire is the live wire, do not touch it without insulating gloves and turn off the power before you do anything. Don't take anything for granted with electricity and if your electrical knowledge is this poor you should call a contractor
    WTH kind of answer is this? Yes, the red is a hot wire, most likely a switched wire, but it is no hotter than the black.
    And insulating gloves? What DIY has those? Killing the power and testing to make sure it's dead is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by myelectric View Post
    I know what the black and white wires are but not the red wire
    I'm trying toin stall my new track light but there are red wires as well as black & white wires please help
    The red is most likely a wire coming from a switch.
    You give us almost no detail other than you have a red wire. Can you give us more detail as to what the situation is?
    Can you not simply hook up the new light like the old?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2016, 10:04 PM
    Paraclete...............
    Perhaps you should consult a qualified electrician before you post.
    Your answer is based on assumption and in no way can be considered accurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install a ceiling fan remote using three wires from ceiling red white, and black [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire a celling fan remote with Red White, and Black wires coming from celling?

Wiring new fixture, red,black and white wires [ 15 Answers ]

From switch many white wires,wire nutted together, black to switch, red to switch. From ceiling, whites nut together black nut together ,red nut together.one black wire Hanging down from previous light fixture, one red, and one white. Which wires do I use for Fixutre which has one white...

Ceiling fixture to hot wires [ 8 Answers ]

I wish to hang a ceiling fixture where there are 2-two wire cables present. When I disconnect the wires it turns off power to the existing ceiling light fixtures which are connected to a 3 way switch. These wires have a constant power to them. How can I utilize these cables?

View more questions Search