Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2016, 06:56 AM
    Charitable Deduction
    I have some items that I won in drawings (a Go-Pro camera and a laptop). I also belong to an organization that runs an annual event for charity. It's a bicycle tour where the proceeds go to various charities (Make a Wish among them). As part of the fund raising at this event, we usually include a raffle (usually a bicycle donated by a local bike shop).

I was wondering if I donated one or both these items to be raffled off can I take a deduction as a charitable contribution. Could I take the full retail value of the items? What would my organization need to give me as proof?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 07:51 AM
    Scott,

Yes, you can claim the items as a charity donation IF you declared the value of the items on your tax return as income.

Mar 10, 2016, 08:22 AM
    Always a catch ;)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 10:53 AM
    Yep! If you did not pay anything for the donation, you have no basis for the value of the property.

Mar 10, 2016, 01:05 PM
    And I'm guessing that something like that stands a good chance of triggering an audit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charitable deduction question [ 2 Answers ]

My business often partners with charities in sponsoring event. In exchange for them inviting their members to the event, we give them a percentage of the sales generated. My question is, what is the difference to us of treating the payment as a commission vs a charitable contribution?

Itemized deduction vs Standard Deduction for Non Resident Alien from India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on L1 Visa from August 22 2009. I want to file my tax returns and my status is non resident for year 2009 and I have to file form 1040NR-EZ, which I understand correctly. Now my question is there is a one clause in the instruction booklet for filing form 1040NR-EZ that indian...

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Tax deduction for charitable donation on H4? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on an H1-B visa, with my wife on an H4. Can we claim a deduction on our joint tax return for a charitable donation that was made in my wife's name (she already has a SSN from a previous stay in the US)? Many thanks, G.

Income Tax Deduction from Charitable Remainder Trust [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am considering setting up a Charitable Remainder Trust through which I am told that I can get benefit of Income Tax Deduction and Estate Tax Benefit apart of satisfaction of donating my property to a good cause. Though I am clear with the Estate Tax Benefit, I am unable to figure out...

View more questions Search