Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Hays Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2016, 07:18 PM
    Employer holding paycheck.
    I used to work for a company contracted with the airport. I had lost my badge, that gave me access on the tarmac. After quitting my job, the employer will not give me my paycheck until I return my badge. I went to the airport security office to see what can be done. As a result, my badge is expired. No longer working for the company, the airport cannot issue a badge. My employer still insists he wants the badge before I can receive my check. I have a family, and I need the paycheck soon. What can I do?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2016, 09:00 PM
    Did you report the badge lost immediately? Unfortunately, it is quite possible that you lost your check as well. Check your employee handbook, but due to increased security at airports it is not unheard of to hold the final paycheck until all identification has been returned intact.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2016, 10:01 PM
    Security items for high risk areas, have a cost to replace. They can not hold the last check, but they can charge you for the loss of the badge.

I remember it was about 500 USD for my police badge if I lost it. When I was a officer.

So if they will not give it to you, sue them in small claims court. They will then counter sue for the cost of the badge and cost of the security issues associated with it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2016, 10:34 PM
    Due to increased security with recent terroristic acts and threats globally, they can withhold the paycheck until the identification us returned. They cannot REFUSE to give you your check, but they can HOLD it until all identification has been returned to the company.

It will all be spelled out in the employee handbook.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 10, 2016, 05:40 AM
    You have to know the penalty for a lost badge, from a handbook. Is it more or less than your last paycheck?
    Unfortunately your writing style here suggests a total lack of concern for the risks of losing a badge and reporting it. You sound like you just quit instead? That makes it sound like you either don't care, or you sold it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 06:11 AM
    Likely there is very little you can do until the company process for such situations plays itself out, so maybe finding out what that process is can help. Others have suggested checking your company handbook and that's a good idea, as well as simply asking a former supervisor, or resource officer what the policy is. Or consult with your local EEOC office for information and clarity.

Seldom do companies do things to satisfy an ex employee's needs and concerns over their own policies and security. All you can do is try to get more information, and act accordingly.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2016, 06:40 AM
    Having been trough a number of security background checks in the past.. they can have a significant cost to the employer (several of mine cost far more than I paid for my house). Even low level ones. There is usually an implied expectation you would remain there during most if not all of that period. If they terminated you... its their choice to bear that cost, if you up and quit very little time later you end up costing them a significant amount of money. As was mentioned, you have to refer back to the Employee handbook as to the policies in such a case. Many companies have a similar policy when it comes to reimbursed education benefits. And those they can go after as they do usually far exceed a single paycheck in value.

And lost ID's such as yours may seem insignificant to you. But they provide a means for the bad crowd to alter this one and/or forge new ones because how often does anyone look extremely close at it? It gives them a perfect template to make very convincing copies. They have value far beyond the simple electronic lock function that can easily be disabled from the system.

And after a certain percentage are lost or misplaced...they have to implement a new system for security reasons. More significant expense.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2016, 06:51 AM
    US Federal law requires that you be paid for the time you work. US Federal law also does not allow employer to deduct anything but tax withholdings without written consent.

So your employer has no right to withhold the paycheck (assuming you are in the US). However, they can have you come in to pick it up. They can ask you to pay for the lost badge. I would contact your local Dept of Labor to get your check.

I do have to say that you may have an employment contract or there is an employee handbook that does give them some rights over federal law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer holding paycheck [ 2 Answers ]

I am a volunteer that gets a stipend. I turned in w4 forms because they said IRS said they had to deduct taxes. They lost the forms so now they are threatening to hold stipend until forms are in. Is that legal?

My employer won't pay me my first paycheck [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in IL and I just started a job and my employer says he needs more ID than just my SS#. I'm in the process of getting my state ID and state DL. But until I have those as proof of who I am, he will not give me a paycheck. Is that legal?

How long can an employer hold a paycheck [ 1 Answers ]

My husband employer never makes payroll on time. They work all week and then on payday they can't make payroll. They are always waiting for that big check. Then when the check comes in the office manager (The son of the boss) spends it and the employees don't get paid. He is now over two weeks...

Holding a paycheck [ 1 Answers ]

The state is Oklahoma, how long can an employer hold a employee paycheck? Thank you, Robin

How can I get my former employer to send me my paycheck? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked from 11/19/2007 to 12/02/2007 then they let me go and now they are giving me the run around about my paycheck. I worked 43.36 hours at $8.00/hr. They owe me $348.80. What can I do to get my paycheck?

View more questions Search