Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissajones992 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2016, 11:14 AM
    Why would a lawyer back out of representing someone in 18 hours?
    lawyer back out of representing someone
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 9, 2016, 12:58 PM
    I can only guess what you are trying to ask.

Are you saying that lawyer agreed to represent you?

Is this a court proceeding of some sort? Is a hearing or trial scheduled for 18 hours (from, presumably, when the attorney first agreed to representation)?

It could be for any number of reasons. Most likely, the attorney figures that the client doesn't have the ability to pay the required attorney fee. Or perhaps the attorney has a conflict of interest, a scheduling conflict, or cannot prepare adequately in time for the upcoming hearing/ trial. But without a lot more detail, it's hard to say. Why not ask the lawyer why he or she decided to "back out"?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 9, 2016, 01:08 PM
    AK, unfortunately, a lot has been deleted from the OP's original question and explanation.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2016, 01:25 PM
    Yes a whole lot. Several paragraphs and all of it was important if they wanted an answer that meant anything.

It was basically about 2 year old bad debt they unwisely chose to NOT pay at all at the time, because they didn't want to pay late fees... seemed like they waited until the last minute to even try to get a lawyer.

My gut told me they may have contradicted themselves giving the lawyer reason to doubt what they were told and decided to back out... but it was just a gut feeling from reading between the lines. Not enough to answer. Wishy washy was mentioned by them wondering if the lawyer thought they were... now they all but delete what they wrote. I think my gut might have been right. And the Wishy Washy thing might have had some truth to it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2016, 10:14 PM
    There are many reasons.

1, they were not honest with the facts
    2. they wold not listen or take the attorneys advice
    3. often they can't pay the attorney
    4. They want to lie or do something that is not ethical and attorney will not agree
    5. There is some conflict of interest in the case
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 03:47 AM
    If you haven't paid them the agreed upon amount they will do nothing for you until you do.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 05:04 PM
    Not enough info to go by. If you want an answer you have to post the facts. Sounds like you did, and then you removed them. Why?

We can't guess based on nothing. If you don't give the facts, we can't help. If you spin the facts in your favor instead of telling the truth, we can't help you.

Let me put it this way.

I post:" My dog is sick, help".

Don't tell me to go to the vet, I want answers! So solve it! Tell me what to do! Can't? Why not? Because I didn't give any info! That's why!

We don't have crystal balls. We can't guess. If you won't provide the info, accurate info even if it makes you look bad, we can't help.

In other words, who knows why your lawyer quit? We don't, because we don't have any info to make an informed decision. So you're on your own unless you decide to give details so we can give you an informed decision.

So good luck. If you want answers based on no info, consult a psychic. That's really the only advice any of us can give you based on what you posted and what you removed from your original post which none of us can see. :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2016, 06:17 AM
    My guess is that, on retrospect, the OP was embarrassed by the facts she posted. She realized they painted her in an unfavorable light. So she just edited the question. Therefore I doubt if she will be returning to explain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a lawyer that can help me get my child back for free [ 4 Answers ]

My foster mom have custody of my child because of mistakes that I made in life she have temporary custody of my child what do I need to do to get my child back

I want to get my retainer back from my lawyer? [ 2 Answers ]

My laywer is dragging my case, can I sue her for my retainer?

How can I get a collection lawyer off my back? [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased a vehicle in Nashville, TN. 5 or 6 yrs. Ago. It was a lemon and circumstances happen to which I could not continue paying for it. After they picked up vehicle, I never rcv'd a statement of what they sold the car for, nor a balance of what I owed. I have now a collection lawyer after me in...

Lawyer Billable hours and Payments [ 24 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, Can anyone tell me if there is an average guideline for billable hours for a divorce case? Like how much each document should take or something along those lines? My other Question is in regards to paying my lawyer. We have given her $5,000 up front and we have not gone to...

Landlord's lawyer says we have no case and we are not getting any money back [ 3 Answers ]

This is a month to month lease in New York. During October ,Nov and Dec. landlord refuses to fix heat and there was NO heat throughout house with numerous notifications. We thought he would fix it but instead right before Christmas tells us either we fix it or get out. The boiler man says the...

View more questions Search