Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wasabi613 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2016, 12:21 AM
    Usb modem to wifi
    How can one connect a USB modem to a router so that the internet connection can be used by more than one device at the same time?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2016, 09:13 AM
    Please give us an example of what you mean by a USB Modem.

Generally the purpose of a router is to share an Internet connection, either via a wired connection and/or a wireless connection. The computer connects to the router using an ethernet cable from the computer's network card to a jack on the router. Or wirelessly by finding the router on a list of available WiFi connections.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2016, 06:32 PM
    Yes, unclear. I have any number of items on the same router, 3 people on at the same time.
    Wasabi613 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2016, 02:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Please give us an example of what you mean by a USB Modem.

Generally the purpose of a router is to share an Internet connection, either via a wired connection and/or a wireless connection. The computer connects to the router using an ethernet cable from the computer's network card to a jack on the router. Or wirelessly by finding the router on a list of available WiFi connections.
    I have a USB modem, that's a flash drive that gives me access to the internet when I plug it into my computer.

I want to have a router - if it exists - that I can plug this into so that the router will now be a wifi point, source, or whatever it's called so that my laptop and/or phone and or tablet can gain internet access via wifi from my USB modem.

Jun 13, 2016, 03:51 AM
    First you need to understand what you have. A Flashdrive is a storage medium. A modem is a device that allows you to connect over phone lines. What it sounds like you have is a USB wireless Network Adapter. This is a device that plugs into a USB port and allows youu to connect to a wireless hotspot.

The next question is WHERE you want to connect. The Network Adapter will allow you to connect to any Wifi hotspot that you have permission to connect to. Internet Cafes, other public hotspots, etc.

Most newer laptops and just about all tablets and smartphones have builtin Wifi network adapters.

If you want to connect at home, you need to buy a wireless router AND subscribe to an ISP to provide Internet access.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 13, 2016, 06:04 AM
    I think he is referring to a Wireless Cellular Modem that plugs into a usb port on the computer. It does look like a flash drive but isn't. An example is the Verizon MiFi 4G LTE Global USB Modem.

Wasabi613, you may need to look at the information that came with the modem or the company who provides the service to find out what restrictions they may have on how the device can be used. It may be against their terms of service to hook it up to a router. It may not be compatible with any devices other than a computer due to software/programming.

It would probably help if you could provide the make and model of your modem.

Jun 13, 2016, 08:12 AM
    Yes that is a possibility, I hadn't thought of. If it is the device Cat suggests, then it works by connecting your PC to a cellular network, not via WiFi. Data charges will apply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WiFi Modem / House Phone... [ 1 Answers ]

We just recently switched to a WiFi Modem for the House Phone through Fido(Rogers).. I have a couple Queries if anyone can shed some light.. (1) Bell had instituted dialling the area code along with all local calls in our area.. (2) The Number ID only shows not Caller ID as well.. (3) The Modem is...

WiFi Modem / Hack Into? [ 1 Answers ]

Just curious if it's Possible.. In our Quest to find the source of the Biggest User of GB's in the Household... Can and if so How could say a neighbor Hack into our WiFi Signal..?

How to use wifi with old BSNL ADSL(modem+router) for my new reliance Broadband? [ 2 Answers ]

I have BSNL wifi Modem.I am getting Reliance Broadband Connection.The ethernet from reliance does not fit into the BSNL Wifi Modem. 1)Do we have any type of "adapter" which acts as the intermediate between relaiance wire and my BSNL wifi modem? Or 2) Do I have to buy a new Netgear wifi...

Netgear wifi Modem problems [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is: my netgear wifi modem has suddenlly(a few months ago) gone super slow but it is wired to my computer which has fast internet (speeds are 1.5-2.1mbps) which is fast in australia condiering our 3rd world country lines. While our wireless devices get 18-47kbps which is unbearable. I...

Usb wifi modem device not working properly [ 2 Answers ]

Every time I try to connect to internet through a usb-wifi it says local only and as a result of this status I am not able to browse. Meanwhile other laptop in this range are working fine. I can't understand why this device is behaving very odd

View more questions Search