Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pudelmama812 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2016, 12:16 PM
    401K Withdrawal Required if
    If you are still employed at age 70 1/2 are you required to still take a RMD? Or can you postpone it until you retire from the company? If you must take a RMD is there anything you can roll it over to and not pay taxes until you actually retire and need the money? Can you still contribute after age 70 1/2 to you 401K if still employed?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 3, 2016, 01:12 PM
    No - you are NOT required by the IRS to take the RMD if you are still working. However - plan rules vary, so it's possible that your company's plan could require distributions even though the IRS doesn't require it. So it's best to check with your HR department.

For RMDs there is no way to do a roll-over to something else to avoid taxes. After all, the whole point of RMDs is to ensure that he IRS gets its tax payments which have been deferred.

If still employed after age 70-1/2 you should be able to contribute to your company's 401(k). But again, plan rules vary so it would be best to confirm with your HR department.
    pudelmama812 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2016, 01:56 PM
    So to verify, if still working IRS doesn't require a "RMD" of a 401K and if still working should be able to continue to contribute. But to be sure on particular 401K check with HR department. Is there anyway to lower your tax bill if one is going to continue to work?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 3, 2016, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pudelmama812 View Post
    Is there anyway to lower your tax bill if one is going to continue to work?
    Only through the standard deductions and credits that are available, such as charitable contributions, renewable energy tax credits, etc., or by taking losses on any investments you might own (outside of the 401(k)).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal possible? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-I'm a brand new user with a huge problem I'm hoping someone can help me with... My wife and I co-signed loans for our daughter to go to college. Long story short, daughter did not graduate after 5 years,now has baby,is unemployed, and the loans are coming due. The amount of the loans is...

Withdrawal from 401k [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get my money out of my 401k if I still work for the company. Times as we all know is hard and I need that money. I was told I would have to be evicted before I could receive my money. I need help fast.

401K withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

If I was laid off from my job and had a 401K that I am withdrawing in lump sum, I realize I have to pay 20% taxes, but will I be charged the 10% penalty? I am 58

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

The Big Lots store I have been managing the past three years recently closed. I wish to withdrawl my 401k contributions and I was wondering if I will be charged a penalty since the company closed my store and offered no transfer.

View more questions Search