Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhrnrcpa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2016, 12:07 PM
    Inherited goodwill
    Spouse A owns a CPA practice and dies. Spouse B sells practice to another firm (no fixed assets or inventory).

Does she get in step-up in basis for goodwill associated with the client list? One of us says yes, one of us says no.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2016, 03:45 PM
    I will not even venture a guess. That is a REAL complex tax question that is really beyond the scope of this forum.

Maybe ebaines can address this, but it is beyond my level of expertise.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Mar 3, 2016, 05:39 PM
    I would answer the question with a question. If you had to prepare an estate return would you include that value as an asset? The estate instructions say you have to account for goodwill in the valuation. Given that generality I would say yes you could step-up the basis. Definitely need to do your research on this one.
    dhrnrcpa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2016, 07:50 PM
    Have researched and researched and that is why the problem lies. One of us says the business value is stepped up on the inheritance return based upon their research. The other of us says without the CPA owner, the business has no real value- again based upon research.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2016, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dhrnrcpa View Post
    Have researched and researched and that is why the problem lies. One of us says the business value is stepped up on the inheritance return based upon their research. The other of us says without the CPA owner, the business has no real value- again based upon research.
    If a third party is willing to pay for the business, it must have some value. What is that value attributable to if not goodwill?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodwill [ 1 Answers ]

Why is goodwill recorded as an asset? If the fair market value of an acquired company is $11m and purchased for $20m, I feel like the excess $9m would be considered an expense? I don't understand where there is a value. Also, is goodwill only on the balance sheet at the end of the period it was...

Goodwill and amortization [ 1 Answers ]

Goodwill in amount of $27,000,000 purchased. Is there amortization and/or journal entry?

What taxes on inherited property at $17,000 value. Eight of us inherited it in Ga. [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom passed away and left her home and land to 8 of us. We sold it to one sister for the value of $ 17,000. Our Lawyer was of no help to us. What kind of taxes are we responsible for? This is in Georgia. Our Dad passed away in 2006. Mom passed in Aug. of 2009.

Goodwill and Impaired Goodwill [ 2 Answers ]

When considering impaired Goodwill can it be calculated as a fraction of Goodwill or does it have to be all of it? Lets say Goodwill for a company is calculated to be $500,000. Can Impaired-Goodwill be determined to be some portion of this, say for example, $200,000 or is my question not making...

Goodwill [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate the GOODWILL of a business ?

View more questions Search