Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinlakes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2016, 01:06 PM
    Electric
    Myquestion is I have a residential tanning bed in my home and it is currentlyrunning off of a 30 amp double pole breaker/ 12-2 wire. This goes to a wallmounter timer, from there it goes to two double box outlet (4 outlets). I amupgrading to a tanning bed that only needs a 15 or 20 amp not sure which one iam purchasing yet, but I want to remove the 30 amp double and replace with one15 or 20 amp single breaker. Can I reuse the 12-2 wire as long as I don'texceed over 20 amps? Will the existing wall timer still work the same way for alower amp draw. My big question is I want to keep everything the same exceptchange out the breaker to 15 or 20 amp single and change out the outlet box toonly a single 15 or 20 amp outlet box, will this tanning bed still be able tohave the timer in place to be used??
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 1, 2016, 02:20 PM
    Most of your questions will hinge on the manufacturer of your new tanning bed.

However, you cannot simply remove the 30 amp breaker and pop in 15 or 20 amp breakers.

The wiring between the panelboard and the timer will have to be removed if you want this done properly.

Just guessing but it sounds to me as if you have a 204V/30 Amp tanning bed?

If you do, then removing the breaker is a simple task, replacing the breaker with either 15 or 20 amp breakers is another story.

30 Amps require a 10 AWG cable. 20 amps require 12 AWG cable and 15 Amp uses 14 AWG cable.

Under no circumstances can you use 14 AWG cable in a 20 amp circuit unless the entire circuit is reduced to 15 amp. That is a fire waiting for the time to start!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 2, 2016, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Most of your questions will hinge on the manufacturer of your new tanning bed.

However, you cannot simply remove the 30 amp breaker and pop in 15 or 20 amp breakers.

The wiring between the panelboard and the timer will have to be removed if you want this done properly.

Just guessing but it sounds to me as if you have a 204V/30 Amp tanning bed?

If you do, then removing the breaker is a simple task, replacing the breaker with either 15 or 20 amp breakers is another story.

30 Amps require a 10 AWG cable. 20 amps require 12 AWG cable and 15 Amp uses 14 AWG cable.

Under no circumstances can you use 14 AWG cable in a 20 amp circuit unless the entire circuit is reduced to 15 amp. That is a fire waiting for the time to start!
    Don, your post is very confusing. Why can't he simply replace the 30 with a 20A? The 30 is already too big for the #12 wire he's got, so going to a 20A is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by twinlakes View Post
    Myquestion is I have a residential tanning bed in my home and it is currentlyrunning off of a 30 amp double pole breaker/ 12-2 wire. This goes to a wallmounter timer, from there it goes to two double box outlet (4 outlets). I amupgrading to a tanning bed that only needs a 15 or 20 amp not sure which one iam purchasing yet, but I want to remove the 30 amp double and replace with one15 or 20 amp single breaker. Can I reuse the 12-2 wire as long as I don'texceed over 20 amps? Will the existing wall timer still work the same way for alower amp draw. My big question is I want to keep everything the same exceptchange out the breaker to 15 or 20 amp single and change out the outlet box toonly a single 15 or 20 amp outlet box, will this tanning bed still be able tohave the timer in place to be used??
    The only way to know if you can use the timer is to get the model number off it. Some timers are voltage rated and some are not. If it is a strictly 240V timer then no, it cannot be used for a 120V circuit.

Other than that your plan is sound.

My question then is why in the world would you want to use a tanning bed?! You'd probably be better off taking up smoking.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 4, 2016, 04:25 AM
    Stan,

I knew what I wanted to say, but forgot how to say it.:)

"but I want to remove the 30 amp double and replace with one 15 or 20 amp single breaker."

My assumption was that this is a 240 V 30 A breaker. If that is true, then he cannot simply replace the double pole breaker with a single pole breaker as it would create an open socket on the panelboard. At least two breakers would be needed or a breaker and a cover to meet code. And since he made no statement about setting up a multi-wire branch-circuit the existing cable should go in part because it might have been damaged by using 12 AWG on a 30 amp circuit.

If you can believe all of the above, I have effectively conned you. :)
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2016, 06:25 PM
    If you have a 12-2 wire now it has a hot and a neutral and a ground. If your new bed requires a dedicated outlet which is 20 amp you already have the wiring in place.
    You will need to replace the dbl. breaker with a single, place the neutral wire on the neutral bus and wire the hot wire to the new breaker. I'm not sure what the confusion is here. You also say this circuit goes to 4 receptacles. If you truly have 12-2 you have a few problems. These outlets can't have a neutral if the 12-2 is wired as a 240v circuit. The timer, will probably not work unless it's mechanical
    Can you post a picture of the tanning bed plug or is it hard wired? What you need to do is call an electrician... and not the one who wired 120v outlets to a 240 volt circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I put an electric fireplace will it make my electric bill go up really high? [ 5 Answers ]

So I want to go and buy an electric fireplace for my house but I don't want my electric bill to sky rocket, I mean I would expect it to go up a little, so does anyone know?

Changing an existing gas & electric furnace to all electric. [ 2 Answers ]

My home is 90% electric, but my furnace is electric and gas, I am curious about how to change to an all electric furnace since my air conditioning and hot water tank are both electric. Will this require me to amp up my electrical panel?

I have an all electric home and want to replace electric hot water heater with electr [ 2 Answers ]

We have a total electric home and want to replace the old water heater with an electric tankless whole house hot water heater. Gas is not available where we are. Is it practical?

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

View more questions Search