Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deliguy 86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2016, 10:49 AM
    Cashing 401k
    Retired 3 years ago, I'm 67 years old. Can I withdraw or transfer my 401 k without penalty?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 11:02 AM
    Yes! You may take withdrawals without penalty, though assuming this is not a Roth 401(k) you will owe ordinary income taxes on it. And you can always roll your 401(k) over to an IRA with taxes or penalties - this is true regardless of age.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2016, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    And you can always roll your 401(k) over to an IRA with taxes or penalties - this is true regardless of age.
    I assume you mean "without".
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    I assume you mean "without".
    Yes - the second sentence of my post should have read " And you can always roll your 401(k) over to an IRA without taxes or penalties - this is true regardless of age." Thanks for catching that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing in 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Would like to cash in my wife's 401k (she is 59) to pay off our mortgage. Do we still have to pay the 10% early withdrawl fee?

Cashing in 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Will be laid off 03/31/09. Age is 61. 401k is currently double my outstanding mortgage amount. Thinking about using the 401k to pay off mortgage and invest remainer in an IRA. What penalties or taxes will I be facing? Could the 401k funds be rolled into an account at the bank holding my mortgage...

Cashing in my 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I am in credit card debt right now and would like to cash in an old 401K I have with a former employer. I understand I have about 12K in the account and could really use this money to get myself out of debt and close my credit cards. I know there are stiff penalties, but how can I make sure the...

Cashing out on my 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thinking of switching jobs and have about 30,000 in debt. I have about 34,000 in a 401k that I was going to cash out on... not sure if the interest rates would be too high to justify this. Also, what about filing for bankruptcy... do they take your 401k money if a person files for bankruptcy?

Cashing out a 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I am a 38 year old married mother of three who lives in virginia-this info is purely for information purposes. I am leaving my job and need to figure out what to do with my small 401K. I have a loan that was taken out for part of a deposit on our house. My situation is this: I...

View more questions Search