Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julius90129 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2016, 08:38 AM
    Do you think that online chatting destroy's a language?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2016, 08:48 AM
    Not for me. It has made me a faster typist, and often when checking my spelling, I look up the word and read about it's origins. I also run some remarks through the google translator.
    But from reading many quick texts, it's easy to assume that language is being 'destroyed.' Languages are always changing, so we can say that's all that's happening, if we want to be optimistic.

PS: destroy's would show possession of language. It's just destroys, a verb.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 28, 2016, 08:49 AM
    The language will stay the same.

Butchered English is common. And although it is a deplorable situation it is no worse that using slang or the horrific twist of the language when teen-agers and adults trash our language via text message.

Feb 28, 2016, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    The language will stay the same.

Butchered English is common. And although it is a deplorable situation it is no worse that using slang or the horrific twist of the language when teen-agers and adults trash our language via text message.
    Thanks for the reply sir, I really appreciated it..
    The thing is other languages may born or build up within the continuous usage of slangs and shortened terms, but in your opinion is it okay if something weird language pop ups and we will permanently use it? Out of curiousity
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2016, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by julius90129 View Post
    Thanks for the reply sir, I really appreciated it..
    The thing is other languages may born or build up within the continuous usage of slangs and shortened terms, but in your opinion is it okay if something weird language pop ups and we will permanently use it? Out of curiousity
    The advent of computers very much added to and even changed how we understand the English language. Now we speak of a mouse (not a small mammal), lots of acronyms like ISP and USB, port (not where ships go to unload), monitor (not of children), hard drive, floppy (not a rabbit's ears), word processing, and so many new terms. Computer dictionaries/glossaries have been put together to define and explain. The English language is a very fluid thing, constantly borrowing from other languages and being revised and added to as new industries and interests arise.
    writer1hal Posts: 36, Reputation: 5
    In love with life!

Feb 28, 2016, 11:33 AM
    Online chatting does not necessarily destroy the language but maybe some chatters for sure do. Some people (I would include myself too) started adapting slang, short forms and such other things that may create the habit of using the weird language. From the years, we have seen there has been an impact seen on the online chatting. Correct grammar and punctuation marks have been used inappropriately. I have been caught in such mistakes as well.

Feb 28, 2016, 12:07 PM
    as technology rises, we also adopt a new terms and recreate a new set of language, leaving something else behind or having something good for our own sake. However in a new set of those used slangs there are only few who could understand it either, and it is indecent to speak a lot of it in publicity who don't understand it. I'm grateful to your idea ^_^

Feb 28, 2016, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by writer1hal View Post
    Online chatting does not necessarily destroy the language but maybe some chatters for sure do. Some people (I would include myself too) started adapting slang, short forms and such other things that may create the habit of using the weird language. From the years, we have seen there has been an impact seen on the online chatting. Correct grammar and punctuation marks have been used inappropriately. I have been caught in such mistakes as well.
    I can relate those inappropriate usage of punctuation marks, everybody does the same mistake in grammar, like sometimes we read and review our sentences before posting it.
    13arcanum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2016, 12:38 PM
    No? Normally it just destroys their sentences and their grammars but not the language itself.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2016, 01:18 PM
    as technology rises, we also adopt a new terms and recreate a new set of language, leaving something else behind or having something good for our own sake. However in a new set of those used slangs there are only few who could understand it either, and it is indecent to speak a lot of it in publicity who don't understand it. I'm grateful to your idea ^_^
    Every business and industry has its own language. I could bore and confuse you for hours when using library lingo ("Who's turn is it to do slipping?" and "Is there a bib record?" and "We'll have to do an ILL" and "What area needs weeding?" and "Did you check on WorldCat?") or education lingo ("He's definitely on task" and "It's part of the core curriculum" and "Reach into cognitive and affective domains") or psychotherapy lingo (no, I won't bore you further with examples). Yes, it's best to use such terminology and lingo with people in your field, but much of it leaks out into the wider conversation.

Even texting shortcuts have bled into our language, especially in emailing (R U = are you ; TMI = too much information ; g2g = got to go).
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 08:09 AM
    No. It is part of the evolution of the language. It is the colloquial English and most people just kind of grow out of it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 02:17 PM
    First off can you define what your calling online chatting? It makes a huge difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Online chatting with gynecologist [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a bit shy so asking this question online. I am trying for baby however whenever I go to washroom after intercourse, I see all the fluid coming out, whether I go after 2 hrs or 3 hrs. Let me inform you that I have aborted my first pregnancy medically. Since than, I am getting problem...

Online Chatting [ 15 Answers ]

Hi everyone, From my previous thread, all that is now sorted so thanks very much for everyone's advice! =D But now, need to delve into a whole other issue... About 8 months ago, my boyfriend asked me if I knew any free download sites for music, and I suggested Imesh, as I have been a...

Online chatting! [ 17 Answers ]

I have been chatting with a guy I would say about almost 2 months online. He has not shown a picture of himself yet which I don't know what to make of it.. Anyway we have had some really nice conversations online.. He told me He enjoys chatting with me and I told him the same.. He said he will...

Chatting Online [ 5 Answers ]

How to Know the person who is chatting from which place, is there any software.

Chatting online [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get to know d location of the person who is currently chatting to me?

View more questions Search