Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ecosta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2016, 10:10 AM
    Dog Keeps Itching His Butt
    My dog is scratching his butt on the carpet and there are streaks of blood where he has scratched. What is causing this.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 04:04 PM
    Probably has ring worms.
    Take him to the vet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 05:55 PM
    I agree with hkstroud. Sounds like worms. Sadly we can't diagnose online. Time to see a vet. Worms are easy and fairly inexpensive to treat.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2016, 01:48 PM
    Worms! Such a wives tale...

He probably has impacted anal glands that are now infected (which is what explains the blood)
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 03:39 PM
    Actually it's not an old wives tale at all.

There are many different types of worms, and one of the reasons that dogs scootch their bums on the floor is worms. So to say that it's definitely not worms, or say that it's a "wives tale", is inaccurate.

Yes, it could very well be impacted anal glands, I've had that issue before with my lab Indy (RIP), he had impacted anal glands frequently, to the point where I learned to express them myself instead of constantly paying the vet to do it. It's nasty, and if done incorrectly it can cause issues.

So, either way, worms or impacted anal glands, or something else, the OP needs to take her dog to the vet. I think we can all at least agree on that. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2016, 11:58 AM
    Ok, whatever
    Pets Expert

Apr 13, 2016, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Ok, whatever
    An answer that leads me to believe that you don't have any info to the contrary? Just had to get the last shot in? :(

I know you're a vet tech, but when it comes to medical issues that I post on on AMHD, I rely on what my vet says. Worms can cause anal itching, and scootching, according to my vet with 30 plus years experience.

If you have documented proof that only impacted anal glands cause scootching, and nothing else, then I'd love to read it. Please post the verified links.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog red itchy butt? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog keeps biting her but an she has a red rash on it but she also chews her feet too

Dog biting butt [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is bitting his butt n there's no fleas what's up ?

Red Bumps/Itching On And Around Vagina And Lower Butt [ 3 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex on the 1st of the month and now it's the 23. I have had severe itching around my vagina for about 4 or 5 days. I went to the doctor and she told me I have a yeast infection. I have been taking the medicine for about 3 days and eveything has gotten a better but the bumps that...

My dog has an itchy butt [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently noticed that my dog has been licking his butt and dragging his butt across the floor for about 2 days now. Why is he doing that and what can I do to help fix the problem quick?! :confused: I don't like seeing him uncomfortable like this.

What are the causes itchy dog butt [ 3 Answers ]

What are the causes of itchy dog butt

View more questions Search