Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 26, 2016, 05:52 PM
    Capital Gains on Inheirted Property.
    In 2015 I sold two pieces of property. One was inherited and sold at a loss. The other was a long term gain.

Turbo Tax subtracted the loss on the inherited property from the gain on the other property. Is this correct? I was under the impression that you could could not claim a capital loss on inherited property.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2016, 08:42 PM
    Your assumption is correct. You probably did not properly designate it as inherited property to the TurboTax program.

Feb 27, 2016, 04:53 AM
    Yes it was designated as inherited. It shows on the printed form as inherited.

My thought are that while you can not have a loss deduction against other income, it is being used in the total capital gains/loss calculation. Is that possible?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 07:51 AM
    Yes, that is very possible AND allowed. I forgot that you had other capital gains.

Feb 27, 2016, 09:59 AM
    Thanks.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2016, 07:43 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Gains on Investment Property [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling a building and land for $ 700,000.00 The amount that has been depriciated is $496,000.oo of that amount. How can I avoid the capital gains or at least reduce them. Ohio business

Capital gains on property [ 2 Answers ]

I have sold my property for 15 lacs.Valuation after indexation is 8 lacs of the property.I have invested 7 lacs in Rural electrification bonds(REC).The market value of the property is 25 lacs but 15 lacs is the maximum available for my property due to the construction and closeby surrounding...

Capital Gains on 50% interest of Inherited property [ 3 Answers ]

My sister and I inherited our mother's condo on Nov 10, 2005. It was sold on Apr 28, 2006 at a capital gain of $29,823 (adding settlement costs and attorney fees into the cost basis). We each owned 50% of the property. How do I file my capital gains - do I use Schedule D? I do not see a way...

Capital gains from investment property [ 3 Answers ]

According to the 1031 like-kind exchange you can't buy a property to make it your primary residence using the money from an investment property (rental home?) and then avoid to pay capital gains. Is this correct? Is it true that if I sell a house I had as an investment property, that I can buy...

Capital gains/renting out property [ 1 Answers ]

I currently own a townhouse in MD and have lived there for the last 14 months. I would like to keep the property to rent out for the next few years and rent a home closer to my job in the meantime. (I plan on moving out of state in the next 3 years or so, so I don't want to buy another property)....

View more questions Search