Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newyork_buddy_2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2016, 01:47 PM
    How to file taxes when 2 Months OPT EAD + H4 EAD
    Hi,
    I worked 3 months in F-1 OPT and then the remaining part of the tax year in H-4 EAD. My husband is in H-1B.
    Please advise on how to file my taxes for year 2015.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2016, 01:57 PM
    You can file jointly with your husband and submit a statement that states that you CHOOSE to be treated as a resident for all of 2015.

Make sure that, when working on OPT, you did NOT pay FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes on your OPT salary. If you did, go back to the employer and ask that those taxes be refunded to you.

Do this BEFORE you file the joint return, because if you do not, you have NO chance of recovering those FICA taxes.

Feb 26, 2016, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You can file jointly with your husband and submit a statement that states that you CHOOSE to be treated as a resident for all of 2015.

Make sure that, when working on OPT, you did NOT pay FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes on your OPT salary. If you did, go back to the employer and ask that those taxes be refunded to you.

Do this BEFORE you file the joint return, because if you do not, you have NO chance of recovering those FICA taxes.
    Thank you, AltantaTaxExpert. That helps!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2016, 08:53 PM
    Glad to help!

If you need professional help filing, you can email me at the email address in my profile.

Feb 29, 2016, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post

I only see two taxes on my pay check:
    Federal Income Tax
    State Income Tax

Can I ask for a refund of the above taxes? I do not see SS and Medicare taxes on the paycheck.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2016, 03:54 PM
    You will probably get a partial refund of those taxes, but you must pay SOME taxes on income earned inside the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 (1 semester) + OPT (2 months) + H1b visa (3 months), how to file Taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I came on F1 visa and graduated in May 2008 (studied 1 semester in 2008) then I started my job as a physical therapist on OPT base for 2 months and I got H1b visa and worked 3 more months in 2008, 1) how do I file taxes? 2) which things do I have keep in mind while I file taxes? Fairly new...

OPT and L2 -Applying for EAD Card- [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about EAD application process. I had F-1 visa and worked on OPT work permission 1 year ago. Now I got married with my husband who have L-1 visa. So My current visa status is L-2. I am going to apply for the EAD (employment authorization). On I-765 form, there is question...

Do applicant for EAD on L2 need to stay in US after applying for EAD ? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I am relocated to USA , my wife is still in India she has her valid L2 visa and now she want's to apply for EAD on L2. My doubt is :- 1) Does she need to reside in US till the time she receive her EAD approval . 2) Can she leave US after applying for EAD. 3) How does her I-94 play a role...

F1 to EAD/OPT: Tax Exemptions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Here's the situation: 1. Student on F1 in SC from Aug 2005 to Aug 2007. Received W2 from University 2. Working with New Employer in MD from Aug 2007 to Dec 2007 on EAD/OPT.

OPT->H1->EAD(from pending 485), tax treaty? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, I was on OPT/F1 till 06/05, on H1 from 06/05 to 08/05, then I started using my EAD obtained from my pending 485 from 09/05. I understand I can file as resident and use 1040 base on the substantial presence test as it is over 183 days since I used H1. But there is no case example...

View more questions Search