Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArmyPilot1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Christians in the Military
    My husband and I are both in the Army and have had issues with other soldiers (who are athiests) confused about how we can "kill" but not "murder" when speaking of war. For the record, we've done neither. We are both Christians and believe in the cause of this war, but the non-believers argue their point that death is all the same. We have Biblical answers but wonder how others feel about this situation.

Thank you,
    Mrs. Soon to be Army Pilot
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Yes, there is a large difference, first about 1/5 of the old testement ( well a lot anyway) shows wars, God blessing his people in battle, and the taking by force of lands for God's people, and protecting that land by force.

We see the right of the government even with bibical approval of the right to use the death of a person as a punishment. Death penalty.

The only restriction is that of murder, yes many of the new liberal bibles are trying to change the word murder to kill in the 10 commandments it is murder not merely kill.

Jesus did not tell the military to change from the military and even healed the daughter of one military person.

And as a solider it does not matter if "you beleive in the cause" or not, you are under the authority of the military, and as such you are obligated to follow their instructins, and following the orders of your government is very clear in the bible.

Apr 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Fr_Chuck- I certainly appreciate your answer. I am in flight school with several so-called athiests and I became very discouraged today during a lengthy conversation with them about how I can be in the military and still be a Christian. I find comfort in your words. Thank you for the encouragement and help.
    Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Remember most athiests are not really athiests, they are either anti christian or worst. A real atheist would not care if you are a christian, since they believe there is nothing so what you believe or don't believe does not matter to them.

Those that are anti christian are like Satan, they like to twist or use one verse out of the bible to attach you. So these people want to hurt a person for their beleifs, so it shows a hatred in them. But be of joy, if you were not considered worthy and a beleiver Satan would not send people such as these to attach your faith.

And many are also jealous, and want to break your nerve so you will not do good in flight school,

Apr 13, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Thank you, Fr_Chuck. Your information is great and I'll share it with my husband.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 13, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    remember most athiests are not really athiests, they are either anti christian or worst. A real athiest would not care if you are a christian, since they beleive there is nothing so what you beleive or don't believe does not matter to them.

Those that are anti christian are like Satan, they like to twist or use one verse out of the bible to attach you. So these people want to hurt a person for thier beleifs, so it shows a hatred in them. But be of joy, if you were not considered worthy and a beleiver Satan would not send people such as these to attach your faith.

And many are also jealous, and want to break your nerve so you will not do good in flight school,
    Why thank you Chuck. Actually I respect you for serving but from what I understand of Jesus and his teaching in the Bible how war and killing can not be justified. As far as I know Christianity is based on Christs message of love. Respectfully -- Savage
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Apr 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    why thank you Chuck. Actually I respect you for serving but from what I understand of Jesus and his teaching in the Bible how war and killing can not be justified. As far as I know Christianity is based on Christs message of love. respectfully -- Savage
    My christian understanding of the conditions for a justified military defense would be if: The damage by the aggressor on the nation would be certain and grave. The use of arms must not produce evils greater than the evil to be defeated. All means of diplomacy must be taken first. There must be a certainty of success.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
    I would disagree to a point, I did not see "Gods People" going to Jerico and having talks to surrender, and actually they had no chance of winning against a walled city.

So they went in against a enemy with no chance of winning and did so with God's blessing. And I see no terms of why we must follow the directions of our government in the bible, only that we follow it. Surely jesus and Pauls ministry to the soldiers who were invaders and surely with no right to be there, there was no mention of anything military, if you are in the military you be the best worker possible, it even addresses slavery so that the slave should even remain a slave and be the best slave possible. It did not address social change or political matters.
    Ddms Posts: 3, Reputation: -1

Feb 1, 2010, 11:21 PM
    I'll spell "Christian" correctly if you Christians will learn to spell "atheist."

Feb 1, 2010, 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle View Post
    My christian understanding of the conditions for a justified military defense would be if: The damage... would be certain... There must be a certainty of success.
    Nothing is certain, especially in war. We can only do our best to anticipate the future. A "reasonable likelihood" is the best we can do. For example, there was no reasonable likelihood that Saddam Hussein's Iraq would have done grave damage to the United States or our allies. So how were Christians justified in invading and conquering the country?

Don't you capitalize the name of your religion? Yeeesh. Show some respect!

DDMS

Feb 1, 2010, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, there is a large difference, first about 1/5 of the old testement ( well alot anyway) shows wars...
    You would think someone who calls himself Fr_Chuck would be able to spell "testament" correctly. If you're trying to pose as a Catholic priest, you're doing a lousy job of it.

DDMS
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Apr 16, 2010, 07:43 AM

These wars described in the bible were completely different to today's wars... they were holy wars directed by God, today's wars are directed by man. Does it make sense that one side prays for God's blessing to win the war and the other side (probably some of the same faith) is doing exactly the same? How can God bless any side when it is straight out murder and hatred and that Romans 12:19 states "vengeance is mine, I will repay says God."?
    DeepThinker1776 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2010, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And as a solider it does not matter if "you beleive in the cause" or not, you are under the authority of the military, and as such you are obligated to follow thier instructins, and following the orders of your government is very clear in the bible.
    Yes, you are under authority, but what Fr_Chuck fails to realize is that the U.S. is a republic, and in our republic the highest authority is the Constitution, NOT the commander in chief. War can only be declared by Congress. If you take part in an undeclared war, you are in rebellion against the authority of the Constitution - not just as the ultimate authority, but also against the oath you take to defend it (in any branch of the military). Christians should respectfully decline to support any undeclared war as rebellion against authority.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyPilot1 View Post
    My husband and I are both in the Army and have had issues with other soldiers (who are athiests) confused about how we can "kill" but not "murder" when speaking of war. For the record, we've done neither. We are both Christians and believe in the cause of this war, but the non-believers argue their point that death is all the same. We have Biblical answers but wonder how others feel about this situation.

Thank you,
    Mrs. Soon to be Army Pilot
    I am a Christian and would be PROUD for any of my family to serve in the military. There is a BIG difference in defending your country and MURDER. Incidentally, Jesus says we "murder" someone just by the ACT of hating. That is the root issue of murder and I love that our Lord always gets to the root of every sin. If everyone as a Christian had that mentality, we wouldn't have the United States of America. Our founding fathers were, for the most part, Christians. We are where we are today because they chose to FIGHT for it.

Sounds to me like these unbelievers just want to argue and judge YOU and your faith. They need to get a clue, pick up the Bible and read it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To All Self-Proclaimed Christians [ 41 Answers ]

A lot of this is not going to make sense, since I’m just basically writing whatever is coming into my mind right now so bear with me. I have a feeling the people (not all) who claim to love or believe in God only do it because of his ability to put people in heaven or hell. It's like a mass...

Christians and Blood [ 28 Answers ]

Is there a prohibition against Christians eating blood?

Christians belief [ 5 Answers ]

What do christians believe about jesus?

Why some Christians will not recognize Cathoics? [ 26 Answers ]

I am not a Christian nor a Catholic but many of my relatives are devout Christians. One is even a minister. Anyway, when I think of a Christian, it includes Catholics and Orthodox Christians, etc.. However, one of my devout "Christian" relatives insisted that Catholic is not a Christian. He...

View more questions Search