Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techtimdavis Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2016, 03:39 PM
    What are the beep codes for a Toshiba Satellite A55-S106?
    I'm trying to upgrade the RAM to 2GB and every time I put the second 1GB stick in the laptop won't boot, I get 1 long and 4 short beeps then nothing. I just need to verify the meaning of the beep code, if I only put 1 of the 1GB sticks it it boots without any trouble. I've tested the sticks indididually and they each boot up seperatly without issue, only when I pair them do I get the beep error.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 24, 2016, 03:43 PM
    Sounds like a speed mis-match...

Feb 24, 2016, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Sounds like a speed mis-match...
    How would it be a speed mis match? The two 1GB modules that I put in the laptop are identical. I've attached a photo, the modules on the left are what I took out, the modules on the right are what I replaced them with.Name:  Laptop Ram.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  2.01 MBName:  Laptop Ram.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  2.01 MB
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 25, 2016, 03:01 PM
    Looks like you may have differnt types of the same chip. The So-Dimms are different then the ones you took out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2016, 05:50 PM
    I also see nothing on them that shows the latency of each (besides as cdad pointed out they are very different density chips)... which is completely separate from speed. They might be radically different from each other causing the problem.

Feb 25, 2016, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I also see nothing on them that shows the latency of each (besides as cdad pointed out they are very different density chips)... which is completely separate from speed. They might be radically different from each other causing the problem.

Have you confirmed each set works in the machine on its own? I have bought ram that was defective before.
    Each of the new chips works in the laptop independently, it's when I add the second one it freaks out, turns out the machine only supports 1GB of RAM and not 2GB.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2016, 06:19 PM
    Oh you caught that before my edit... I missed that you did mention that at first.

So you found your problem... do keep in mind the latency of the memory for the future if you are going to add to existing memory... missmatching that as well can cause performance issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beep codes [ 1 Answers ]

Compaq Presario 2710US laptop won't boot but beeps: One short, pause, 3 beeps, 3 beeps then a single beep. Any ideas? BobO'B

I added ram and beep beep beep beep beep? [ 12 Answers ]

I added ram and computer will not stat up it just beeps the ram is compatible and I can not figure out what's wrong( at the start of my computer it ask me which OS do I want to use could this be the problem)??

I added ram and beep beep beep beep beep? [ 2 Answers ]

I added ram and beep beep beep beep beep? I added ram and computer will not stat up it just beeps the ram is compatible and I can not figure out what's wrong( at the start of my computer it ask me which OS do I want to use could this be the problem)??

Toshiba a55-s106 backlight is where? [ 1 Answers ]

I have looked at several articals online and can not find anything that looks like a backlight on this model no one has been able to help me can you please?

View more questions Search