Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkcuff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2016, 01:23 PM
    As an insurance agent can the company keep your bonues to pay charge backs
    I work for a brokerage, I knew that had some charge backs coming. I asked about them. They told me they would get back to me. I asked for months. It was never disclosed to me what the charge back amounts would be and when they would "charge them back". They held on to the charges for months then used a large bonus I received without notifying me that they were now going to pay my charge backs. They did not disclose how much they were till after they took the money. Is there a rule surrounding how I should be notified and can they use bonus pay to do this? I still don't have a clear breakdown of what was charged back.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2016, 01:28 PM
    A bonus is just that a Bonus... you MAY get it regularly but by its very nature... its something extra not part of your regular pay... the amount and the fact you get anything at all is not guaranteed.

Anything that applies to how they award a bonus and everything that applies to it will be purely based on what they say it is and will usually be documented by HR.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2016, 11:27 PM
    A change back is an advanced commission where the people cancel the insurance. So you owe them the money back. Normally they keep part of your money each commission as a fund to pay this.

But they may just take the charge back from any money that is owed you.

So yes this is very common.

They should be a list of all charge backs (cancelled policies) that you get every month.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2016, 03:33 AM
    You can demand a breakdown, but your best bet is to keep your own records as you go! It's not difficult, and you know where you stand at all times, even if not exact
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2016, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcuff View Post
    Is there a rule surrounding how I should be notified and can they use bonus pay to do this?
    If there is such a rule it is in the brokerage's compensation policy or your individual contract. If there are chargebacks, they can take them from any payment to you that is not for salary/wages. So they can come from commission payments, bonuses etc. They just can't deduct from wages without your permission. You didn't make it clear whether you are paid only through commission or not.

You are entitled to an accounting of any amounts paid or deducted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPP insurance company refused to pay me. [ 1 Answers ]

I left my phone at the back of my office while I was serving customers at the shop. After 15 minutes I realised that the phone disappeared. I made the claim to the CPP insurance company which refused on the basis that I left the phone unattended in a public place. Is my office consider a public...

Been burgled insurance company may not pay out [ 0 Answers ]

Im a student in stoke on trent (uk) and my house has damp/mold so to get rid of the smell id opened the window during the day while I was home, at around 8:30pm (still light outside) I decided to pop to the shop and get a few things for shopping, it took me longer than I thought and when I came...

Getting an insurance company to pay liability. [ 4 Answers ]

My wife was recently after parking her car and having left it shortly afterwards returned top find another car had rolled back from a parked position and crashed into the side of hers.The local Gardai(police)were called and a report was made.The driver of the other car had giving her insurance...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

Can you charge an insurance company a fee for sending medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there are any provisions within HIPPA that allow a physician to charge insurance companies for copying and sending of medical records. We receive a large amount of medical record requests from Insurance companies in order for them to establish pre-existing conditions. I...

View more questions Search