Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fantasian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2016, 09:54 PM
    Complex Tarot Card Probability. Drawing 80 cards w/o 22 trump cards being consecutive
    My Nephew is into Tarot Cards. I am teaching him math. He asked me a question I have no idea how to answer. A new deck has 80 Cards in it, including 2 non-use cards. If we draw all 80 cards in a random order 1-80, what are the chance that we will not get any consecutive trump cards, of which there are 22.
    In other words what are the chance that 22 specific cards will never come next to each other in a 1-80 card draw, where the cards are randomly drawn?

This is way out of my league...
    Can you explain how this is arrived at?

Once again to clarify, If number 17 is a Special card, then neither the 16th nor 18th card can be another of the special cards.

Etc

Thank You
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 23, 2016, 02:15 PM
    With 80 cards, with 22 "specials" and no two specials may be next to each other:

1. The number of possible combinations of the 22 specials in the 80-card deck is C(80,22) - i.e. the combination of 22 out of 80 things.

2. The number of combinations that satisfy the criteria of no two specials being adjacent is C(59,22)

3. Hence the probability of this occurring is C(59,22)/C(80,22) = (58 x 57 x ...x 38)/(80 x 79 x 78 x ...x 60), which is approximately 0.000514.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability of getting an ace from 50 cards if 2 cards are randomly removed from 52 [ 6 Answers ]

From a pack of 52 cards 2 cards are randomly removed. Then what is the probability of getting an ace from remaining 50 cards?

probability of drawing a royal flush from a deck of cards, order and suit irrelevant [ 3 Answers ]

What is the probability of randomly drawing a royal flush from a standard deck of cards (without replacementT and order and suit are not important?

Probability in drawing cards from a deck. [ 7 Answers ]

Draw a number of cards with replacement from an ordinary deck of cards. What is the probability that it will require 'n' draws until all 4 suits are represented? As an example, say n=6.

Probability of drawing a double pair from a deck of cards [ 3 Answers ]

Question: A deck of 52 cards, 2 cards are dealt. We assume that the card we have in our hand are not a pair. For example we get: '3 of hearts' and '2 of clubs'. What is the probability that if you draw 3 cards at random from the remaining 50, you'll get at least another 2 and at least another...

Tarot cards [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tarot cards deck .

View more questions Search