Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sthubertf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 07:51 AM
    California Live Work Space Tax Write Off
    Im about to move into a loft that I will be using as a studio for my music business. How much of it can I write off and how?
    shaffaf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubertf
    Im about to move into a loft that i will be using as a studio for my music business. How much of it can I write off and how?
    Write all of and think how.then u will know y and u will get it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 06:29 AM
    If this is where you are living, it will work just the same as any home office or business, you can only deduct the area that is dedicated to just business, and then use that percent of the space for your percentage of untilities and other costs.

You can't for example use the kitchen table for the desk, and store your supplies in the bedroom closet, there will have to be specific area, room for nothing but business usage.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Fr Chuck has it right.

The Home Office deduction is a major audit flag on tax returns.

There are very specific rules about the home office that must be obeyed to the letter, or the home office deduction WILL be disallowed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NJ, work in NY, using turbo tax deluxe [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter lives with us in NJ and has started working in NYC. Do we have to file a NJ tax form along with the NY state form for her?

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

Live in NY work in NJ how do I calculate after tax salary [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I currently received an offer to work in NJ, but I want to live in NY. If my salary was about $54,000 annually how would I calculate my after tax salary per month. Can you please provide an example? Thank you

Work in NJ and live in NY tax question [ 1 Answers ]

I see a lot of people living in NJ and working in NY but its hard to find info on working in NJ and living in NY. Do you know how taxes work when I live in NY and work in NJ? Does the federal get affected by this. I own a home in SI and my wife works in NY. Thanks

View more questions Search