Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rekincaid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2016, 09:10 AM
    Can a company send me a 1099 for a year that they did not pay me?
    I work as an independent contractor. I started working for a client in December, 2015. I billed them on Jan. 1 for the December work. They paid me on January 30, but they sent me a 1099 for 2015 for the amount that they paid me in 2016.

Is this legitimate? Do I then have to declare this income for 2015 even though I did not receive it until 2016?

Regards,

Ron Kincaid
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 22, 2016, 10:30 AM
    Yes, it's legitimate. The income goes on your 2015 taxes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2016, 03:28 PM
    It IS legitimate if the company you billed is on an accrual basis, meaning the expense when it is accrued (you work in December was accrued in December).

If they are on a cash basis, they charge the expense in the year it is paid.

Assuming you are on a cash basis, you are NOT obligated to carry the income in 2015, but it might be wise to do so to avoid the need to explain WHY you carried the income to 2016 should any tax authority ask that question.
    dhrnrcpa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2016, 10:59 AM
    Incorrect. As a rule, 1099's are based upon payment date, not accrual date. If not, cash basis taxpayers would have to include income they had not been paid for a year early.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2016, 11:21 AM
    I stand by my answer!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2016, 11:36 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert, you say it depends on the basis used by the company you billed. But then you say 'assuming YOU are on a cash basis.' Does your cash basis accounting trump the company's accrual basis, if that's the case?

I personally go for practical. If the company files their copy as 2015 and you file as 2016, the IRS is going to get all confused, probably penalize you and charge interest, and even do so twice, given that it takes 2+ years to catch up to this sort of thing. And then make you take another 2 years to fix it.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2016, 04:11 PM
    Which is WHY you claim the income on the 2015 tax return to avoid all that hassle.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2016, 05:22 PM
    Treas. Reg. §1.6041-1 (the regulation that deals with 1099s) refers to "payments" and not to amounts paid or accrued. It says:

(i)
    Payments required to be reported. Except as otherwise provided in §§ 1.6041-3 and 1.6041-4, every person engaged in a trade or business shall make an information return for each calendar year with respect to payments it makes during the calendar year in the course of its trade or business to another person of fixed or determinable income described in paragraph (a)(1)(i) (A) or (B) of this section.

I believe the 1099 was improper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a 1099 marketing associate for a company. Client did not pay... [ 0 Answers ]

Hello - I was working as a 1099 marketing associate for a company. I worked for almost 1 year with no pay. The client promised to pay and showed me contracts for funding which would enable him to pay. Well the funding fell through. I invoiced the client monthly and he acknowledged my invoices....

Pay as summer intern reported on 1099-misc.Do I have to pay SocSec as self-employed? [ 1 Answers ]

I received $1000, my only income for 2010, as a summer intern for a non-profit. It reported this in Box#7 on Form 1099-Misc. Do I have to pay Social Security tax on this? Medicare tax? Income Tax? I am a college student claimed as a dependent by my parents.

Multi State company - where do I send the 1099's [ 3 Answers ]

We are a multi state company. Our home base is Colorado, we have employees and independent contractors in several states. Do I have to send 1099 to the various State's or just our home based state?

Can one employer pay one person both W2 wages & 1099 contract amt in one year [ 4 Answers ]

Can one employer pay a person both W2 wages and 1099 contract labor pay in the same year?

If company makes loss in previous year what company will do in current year [ 1 Answers ]

As per balance sheet and profit and loss account there is a loss in 2009,what will accountant do in the current year i.e.2010

View more questions Search