Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tekadict352 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2016, 03:36 AM
    How do I obtain a copy of a 2003 Egg account
    In 2003 I had a savings account with Egg, which as been taken over by the Yorkshire Building Society. During that year a substantial amount of money was supposedly deposited into that account from my wife's pension. For reasons recently revealed, I would like a copy of my account for that year to verify this money was paid. YBS say they cannot go back beyond 2004.
    Can you advise me on what to do?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 22, 2016, 03:39 AM
    You are out of luck if the bank doesn't hold these records, unless you have evidence of the initial incoming transaction...
    Surely if it was that long ago the moneys would have been used or reallocated...
    tekadict352 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2016, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    You are out of luck if the bank doesn't hold these records, unless you have evidence of the initial incoming transaction...
    Surely if it was that long ago the moneys would have been used or reallocated...
    Thank you for your reply.
    The account was a savings account and rarely used, ready for our mature years, which I have now reached.
    What would be evidence of initial incoming transaction?
    I have recently discovered a letter to my wife, from her pension company, saying this sum of money was deposited in my account. I do not recall this.
    The pension company has changed hands 3/4 times and they also say they cannot go back that far.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 22, 2016, 07:05 AM
    This may be obvious, but you should have been receiving quarterly or annual account statements, and a 1099-INT tax form each year from the bank. Have you lost all those records?

Another idea: if there was a substantial increase in the account balance in mid-2003 there was likely a corresponding increase in interest earned for the subsequent years. If you compare the interest reported from this bank on your 2003 and 2004 income tax returns against 2002 you may be able to tell whether there was a substantial deposit in 2003.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2016, 07:30 AM
    I understand that this was a rarely used account, but that is no excuse for not keeping valid records. I have savings accounts that have not been touched for years, but I get regular statements and I would definitely know if there was a significant increase in the account. While banks are required to keep records for a time, they cannot be expected to keep them forever, especially if institutions change hands.

One other point here, if this was a distribution from your wife's pension plan, then it should have been rolled over into an IRA or you would have had to pay income taxes on the distribution which would have significantly affected your 2003 tax return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 22, 2016, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    One other point here, if this was a distribution from your wife's pension plan, then it should have been rolled over into an IRA or you would have had to pay income taxes on the distribution which would have significantly affected your 2003 tax return.
    Excellent point! And this raises a question for the OP - are you absolutely sure that the pension plan administrator stated that the funds were transferred into a savings account, as opposed to an IRA? You say that the funds were "supposedly" deposited in the savings account - what evidence are you relying on for this supposed occurrence? Also - have you tried contacting the pension administrator for your wife's employer to see if they can verify the transaction?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I obtain a copy of my deceased father's will? [ 3 Answers ]

My sister's did not tell me of my father passing until the day of his funeral.I lived in AZ. And he lived in LA.They forged my name to sell his house,I never saw or received a copy of his will,they said they sold everything he owned.When I asked my sister for a copy of the will she said she didn't...

How do I obtain a copy of my bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

How would I obtain a copy of bankruptcy documents issued by the Peterborough county court

Obtain free w2 copy [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to obtain w2's for 2002-2006 I worked for In home support services in Riverside County Ca

I need a copy of my transcript.do you know where or how I can obtain it? [ 1 Answers ]

Betz business college cincinnati,Ohio

I need to obtain a copy of phone record [ 1 Answers ]

My phone was stolen about two weeks ago. I was currently with Metro PCS for about 2 weeks. Once my phone was stolen, I canceled my account and imported my number back to Sprint. I asked Metro for a detailed copy of my phone bill with phone numbers and they told me that they could not provide...

View more questions Search