Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lpayman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2016, 10:03 AM
    chipboard floor in our bathroom which is quite creaky.
    Hi, we have got a chipboard floor in our bathroom which is quite creaky. Sometimes when we walk into our bathroom it causes a pipe to ting/ creak, is this anything to be concerned about?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2016, 11:03 AM
    The pipes should be located toward the center of the floor joist. The holes in the joist should have a clearance of at least 1/4" all around the pipe. This will give the pipes enough room to flex and not rub against joist.

Can you tell us what else the floor is made of/ the finish?

You should have a 2 layers of sub and then the finished flooring.

Chuck

Feb 21, 2016, 11:48 AM
    The pipe we

Feb 21, 2016, 12:29 PM
    The pipe
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 21, 2016, 08:46 PM
    Probably nothing to worry about but the best fix is a tear out. I do not think you need two layers of sub and then the finish but you should have a glued and screwed tongue and groove 3/4" sub floor.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Feb 22, 2016, 04:58 AM
    Lpay,
    It may be beneficial to open the ceiling below and add some solid cross blocking, or joist sisters between the floor framing members. Sheetrock is easily removed, patched & painted, and, a visual inspection will tell you more about the condition of your bathroom floor and piping.. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking from 2nd floor bathroom to first floor bathroom? [ 1 Answers ]

I live on first floor of a 3 family home, my bathroom has been having a ongoing leak over the toilet coming from 2nd floor. I told my landlord and they said it was a clogged tub... but it just keeps happening and gets worst every time. It's to the point that its raining in the bathroom. Could a...

Do you need to install additional floor joists before adding a second floor bathroom? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom (with a tub) on the second floor of my house. Is it necessary to add more framing members to the first floor walls or ceiling?

Can I raise bathroom floor to move my toilet that sits in a slab floor? [ 3 Answers ]

Moving my toilet appx 3 feet. It is currently a slab foundation and I don't want to have to drill through the concrete, so can I elevate the floor, move my toilet and extend the piping into the old toilet drain in the slab?

Installing self leveling concrete floor in master bathroom on the third floor [ 0 Answers ]

Want to remove old tile & install a self leveling concrete floor as the main flooring in our master bathroom on the third floor in our home. Can you put a concrete floor on the third floor/level of a home? Under the old tile is plywood... What do I need to do to the sub floor to prepare it for...

Basement finishing .(lumpy creaky upstairs floor) [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently began a basement remodeling project. Metal studs from cement floor to ceiling joists, greenboard on the walls. The ceiling has been furred down across the floor joists for a tongue and groove ceiling . I used 2x3s for furring as I needed to get down from the floor joists 1.50 inches...

View more questions Search