Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmelmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2016, 01:16 PM
    Child support when child goes away to college
    My 18 year old child will leave for college in mid August. My ex plans to file papers to have child support ended at that time. Is it possible to fight this and have support continued, maybe at a reduced amount , until the child is 19?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2016, 02:56 PM
    First, any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Second, the term of child support is usually spelled out in the original court order awarding support. Usually it says something like support will continue until the child reached 18 or finishes high school or college. If the order doesn't specify then it continues until the law specifies.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 20, 2016, 07:43 PM
    What state?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2016, 09:21 PM
    From the sounds of it he shouldnt have to pay after the child graduates high school. If your child has turned 18 and graduates high school it ends the support in most states.

Why do you want it to continue on ?
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Feb 21, 2016, 03:20 AM
    Hello

This would all depend on what state and even country you are from as to when Child support will stop.

Here we have a few types , government family assistance and child support both finish when a child turns 18 years of age , though like the others have also suggested in some US states this is also true.

As the others have said also it finish when the child finishes college / high school in the USA depending on state.

It can also depend on what the court order says as to whether it will go past the age of 18 to as you want it 19 years of age.

Hope this helps and yea where are you from.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 21, 2016, 06:07 AM
    My 18 year old child will leave for college in mid August. My ex plans to file papers to have child support ended at that time. Is it possible to fight this and have support continued, maybe at a reduced amount , until the child is 19?

The CS order currently provides what; that CS shall continue until the child is 19 if still in school? In that case, the motion should be denied unless the non-custodial parent can show that circumstances have changed, since the time of the original CS order, in such a way that the parties could not have anticipated back then.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2016, 06:48 PM
    In the US, child support is by state law, and those laws vary greatly by which state.

As noted above, a lot will depend on the exact court order of the child support, If properly written, they will be very specific about when it ends, college, specific age and so on.

Also of course in many states, the other parent has to pay for part of the college, is that in the support papers ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYS Child Support when child is living on college campus? [ 9 Answers ]

I am the Custodial Parent, my 18 year old daughter has been living with (I have both kids) she is starting her second year of college and decided now that she wants to live on campus, hopefully using her financial aid. Since I get child support for both kids do I now have to break it out by % and...

Do I have to pay child support in California if the child is in college? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California, my son lives with his mother in Pennsylvania and PA has jurisdiction of the child support order, it is not an interstate order. My son will be 18 soon and emancipated! There is no law in PA to pay child support while in college or even pay for college. We do however have and...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Child support and arrears but child will be living with non-parent while in college [ 1 Answers ]

I am a non-custodial parent living in Atlanta, GA paying my court appointed child support plus arrears. This year my daughter will be 18 and will be living with me (coming from Sterling, VA) while going to college. Is there a way to negotiate the arrears amount or settle out on an agreed amount...

View more questions Search