Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MTS31801 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2016, 06:51 AM
    Replacing a water heater!
    My 40 gallon water heater started leaking. Bought a new one. Only thing its taller than the one I'm replacing. Voltage and watts are the same. I have enough space for new heater. Is it OK to use to replace old heater?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2016, 06:55 AM
    No problem. You can use flexible connectors to connect the taller tank to your water lines so that you don't have to do any tricky cutting and soldering.
    MTS31801 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2016, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    No problem. You can use flexible connectors to connect the taller tank to your water lines so that you don't have to do any tricky cutting and soldering.
    Thanks I have been without hot water since November. Didn't have the money to replace at the time. Tax refund just got here. First thing I did was buy this water heater. Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 20, 2016, 08:35 AM
    Agree with Rickj, no problem.

You can cut existing piping with tubing cutter, repipe with Shark bite flexible water heater connectors. You can even find them with a cold water shut off valve. Combined with a PVC pipe for the T&P valve and you shouldn't have to do any soldering.
    If you put a loop or S shaped bend in the connectors, you don't need heat trap nipples (which I don't like).
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2016, 02:38 PM
    MTS31801: Sorry about being w/o hot water for 3 months.

Advice for you and everybody else in similar situation: Next time, you can always look on Craig's list for used water heaters. Our company always saves, cleans, and puts on Craig's list all water heaters that we replaced with new units - and that are re-sale worthy. You can get fully functional water heater for under $50.00. You install yourself. Over the years, we've made tons of people in need very happy.

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a 4500 watts water heater for a 11 kw tank less water heater. Any problem? [ 4 Answers ]

The water heater in my house 4500 watts @ 230v. I am replacing it with a Titan tank less water heater model N-120, which is rated at 11 KW @ 230 V. My main beaker is 150 amps, the panel is rated at 200 amps. Any problems with the main breaker?

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Low water pressure in shower after replacing water heater [ 4 Answers ]

We have almost no pressure with the hot water in the shower after replacing the water heater. Cold water is OK, we have flushed out the pipes (refilled the water heater) and still not any better. What next? We have look on line for answers but to no avail.

Very low water pressue to house after replacing leaking valve on water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the leaking valve leading to the hot water heater, drained the hot water heater, turned the main valve to the house back on and now have very low water pressure to the house (cold and hot) The house has galvanized metal pipes... HELP please!:confused:

View more questions Search