Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DocMagoo73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2016, 11:55 PM
    False Positive PEth
    I am currently enrolled in a physician monitoring program for alcohol through my state PHP. Prior to signing the contract I used to have a few drinks on the weekends or special occasions, but it wasn't an every day occurrence. After signing the monitoring agreement, I have stayed abstinent. Despite this fact, 45 days after my last drink of alcohol I tested positive on my PEth test with a level of 20. Despite my objections otherwise, the PHP is accepting the results as gospel and I am now being asked to enter into further monitoring and IOP therapy. Has anyone else experienced a false positive PEth result, and if so what was the reason and were you able to find any evidence to support your claims?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 19, 2016, 04:09 AM
    My first question would be why are you in such a program, and my observation is the PEth tests are the gospel when it comes to alcohol detection. Testing positive at such a low level is either you underestimated your alcohol use, or you have a medical condition that you may need to have treated. Or both.

If you fail your next test, and have been abstinent still, I certainly would have a doctor run blood tests for any organ/medical conditions, or accept that your 45 days of abstinence were insufficient at the time for you (For whatever reasons). There are a number of factors that go into evaluating a PEth test failure, and organ disease, or medical conditions are but a few of the causes of failure of this test.

Sorry but your test result indicate more scrutiny and your next test better be even lower.

https://www.acli.com/Events/Document...%20Stewart.pdf

– Low levels indicate lighter recent drinking probably approaching one drink/day, or heavy drinking that ceased in the past 1 to 1.5 months
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 19, 2016, 08:40 AM
    Are you also avoiding products that contain alcohol? Hand sanitizer is a major one but they're all over the place. How about foods that contain alcohol? IE, red-wine sauce. Alcohol doesn't cook off as much as is popularly speculated. Not drinking and complete alcohol abstinence are two very different things.
    DocMagoo73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2016, 11:58 PM
    I appreciate everyone's response. I have been doing my best to avoid all products that may contain alcohol including hand sanitizer and mouthwash, but it is possible there may be something I wasn't aware of.

As for why I am in the program, it is due to a suspicion of DUI during a speed trap on Valentine's Day last year when I was not on call. The test was inconclusive when I blew, and eventually the blood test showed a level of .06. As a result, the eventual traffic violation was dismissed, but not before it registered an inquiry with the medical board. They eventually turned it over to PHP where I was cleared after a full evaluation, but the last part before they release me is 6 months of monitored abstinence, which brings us to the present.
    PEth inaccurate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2017, 08:58 AM
    I too have a false positive test report.

I did not drink any alcohol for 21 days and tested a 32.
    I did consume 5 beers in 35 days (never more than 2 beers per 48 hours) and tested 23.

Something is wrong with me or this test, and am trying to afford the expense of a medical analysis / diagnosis.

At work, my finger tips are bathed in isopropyl alcohol at least 12 times a day.
    For play, my hands get exposed to methanol about twice a week.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2017, 11:03 AM
    1. At work, my finger tips are bathed in isopropyl alcohol at least 12 times a day.
    2. These alcohols do not enter into to Etg testing as they do not contain the Ethyl radical
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 30, 2017, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PEth inaccurate View Post
    I too have a false positive test report.

I did not drink any alcohol for 21 days and tested a 32.
    I did consume 5 beers in 35 days (never more than 2 beers per 48 hours) and tested 23.

Something is wrong with me or this test, and am trying to afford the expense of a medical analysis / diagnosis.

At work, my finger tips are bathed in isopropyl alcohol at least 12 times a day.
    You should be wearing gloves/and masks at work and play as these are alcohols that can be absorbed through the skin, and detected in the blood. This is incidental exposure, and should be explained and noted BEFORE the test. Some diseases are also a reason for a level of detection and may require a physician getting involved.

Both are POISON to humans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can cause a positive Peth test if you have not drank alcohol is 6 months? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a liver patient and have not had any alcohol since December of 2014 my peth test from August 2015 showed a minor trace per the peth test. Why?

False positives in peth testing [ 13 Answers ]

I do random urine drug screens. In a 6 month period I have came back with 3 diluted urines which a peth test was ordered. Now the Peth came back with a 63? I do not get it. My last taste of Alcohol was June 3, 2012. What is wrong. I contributed juicing and hcg to the diluted urines. ...

How many drinks for positive peth [ 3 Answers ]

Never heard of the Peth test was wondering how many drinks it would take to get a positive peth test. Some say as little as 6 drinks others say more over 14 drinks. Some say a lot more what is correct answer. And does it have to be drinks each day over 6-7 days in a row with up to 3 weeks prior...

Positive PEth [ 0 Answers ]

I have a positive PEth test after drinking 15 beers in a three day period 14 days prior to test. I fell off the wagon, after long sobriety. I thought two weeks would be okay, why would it be positive?

I had a FALSE positive UA-they retested it.. it came back POSITIVE AGAIN! [ 2 Answers ]

A few weeks back I had a UA for alochol(they do EtG tests) and my couselor told me I failed it. I am 300% certain no alcohol has been in my system for months. I told her I did not have ANYTHING to drink and told her to resend it back to the lab. Well, it came back today and it was POSITIVE again...

View more questions Search