Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maya H Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2016, 06:25 AM
    What to expect from my first part time job?
    I am 16 and looking to get a part time job. I don't have experience with much of anything. The only previous 'jobs' would be chores around the house, raking leaves, shoveling snow, and babysitting. Is that enough? I would like to know what to expect from an interview. Also do I need to talk to my parents about opening a bank account for my pay checks? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am looking to apply at Dunking Donuts and Subway.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 06:30 AM
    OF course you will have to talk to your parents about opening a bank account, since they will have to be with you, and sign with you.

Next many people have never did anything except play video games and go to school, the idea of a first job, is it is really a first job. What you did will be helpful to show you don't mind working.

Also consider applying maybe 15 or more places, unless you know someone at the business (or your parents know someone) each place will most likely get 100 to 200 applications for every one person they hire.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2016, 06:37 AM
    That's why its called entry level, they don't expect much if any experience. You pay attention and learn what they teach you, performance and punctuality are key things here. You won't be getting paid a lot... but you do learn a lot that in time you can use to make the next step to a better paying job with more responsibility and better pay.

Its important to view the job as a serious responsibility... not something you do when you have nothing better to do. You will meet people that do think that way and you will see they get fired very quickly.

You will learn responsibility, teamwork in most cases... and to follow direction. Those are the most important things you will learn that are key to the next better job you will find.

I do recommend opening a bank account, if you have the money in your pocket you will spend it or you might lose it. No matter how little you make... you always want to save a percentage of that you never touch.. for anything. Even 5 or 10 dollars a week seems like a small amount... but it adds up.. and the more you make the more you should save. Retirement might be the last thing you think of.. but you will be surprised how quickly it arrives. And the discipline of saving a portion of every paycheck... will teach you financial responsibility that will save you a LOT of grief in the future.

Funny thing... the actual work you will be doing, is actually the smallest part of what you stand to learn from your first job.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2016, 02:18 PM
    I just wanted to add, that I think you will do well. Having the maturity to be concerned and to ask these questions bodes well for your future.
    Santana_J Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2016, 01:31 PM
    Yea talk to your parents they have been though all this and they know what is best. But I always say you will never learn if you don't try yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Part time job [ 1 Answers ]

How can find a part time job, I am in minneapolis on H1b, please help.

Part time job [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a full time student in central los angeles and looking for a weeekend job for about 15 hours max.

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

View more questions Search