Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ponderingmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2016, 02:32 AM
    Birth defects
    Could a baby born with an extra thumb and third nipple be a surviving twin of the vanishing twin?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 08:41 AM
    Could be but not because of the extra appendages. IE, my wife has told me that she was the surviving twin, the other vanished. The defects are probably just that, defects. Some got screwed up in the gestation and the child has an extra thumb and nipple.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 08:46 AM
    Polydactyly (extra digits) and supernumerary nipple (extra nipple) are quite common and would not be the result of a vanishing twin.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 19, 2016, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl12345 View Post
    Yes there is a possibilities
    No.

Mammals as a whole are bilaterally symmetrical. So what is on the left is mirrored by what is on the right, there is PRECIOUS few places on the body where this isn't true. The number of mammary glands is roughly equivalent to the number of young that's expected during a pregnancy. Since we only have one child per gestation, then we have one set of nipples. Cats and dogs have litters so they have more. When you have a third nipple, chances are something went a little wrong during gestation.

Hands and feet are strangely similar in mammals. Five digits per appendage. When something goes sideways during gestation then you get more, as in this case, or less, as in one of my friends with two fingers and a thumb on one hand.

If a split embryo rejoins, it will follow a more logical defect, i.e. conjoined twins. You won't see it express as a little bit on the chest and a little on the hand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth defects caused by birth control? [ 2 Answers ]

I start taking the birth control that call I.U.D that last for five years, in February of last year while I was on it (I.U.D )two months later I found out that I was pregnant! 9 months later had my later had my little princess, comes to fine out her left hand & fingers had not grown out at all if...

Birth defects caused by birth control? [ 1 Answers ]

I was taking birth control pills then went to switch my birth control to the implanon that is inserted in your arm about a week ago, yesterday I learned I was pregneat, is there a chance of birth defects?

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Accutane = birth defects! [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend takes 80 mg of accutane. If he got me pregnant would it cause birth defects? Or is it just if the women take it?

View more questions Search