Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2016, 10:11 PM
    Gallbladder surgery
    I returned from the doctor today. It appears I have many large gall stones.

The doctor said they had two choices, (not one recommendation)

Choose 1.
    They do surgery and remove the entire gallbladder. Cost 8000 RMB

Choose 2

They open the gallbladder up, clean it out, and sew it back up. So you keep the gallbladder. Cost 15,000 RMB

I can find out lots about gallbladder being taken out which appears to be common in the US. It appears just taking out the stones and leaving the gallbladder, is more an Asian thing.

I would like to hear about any of your stories, good things or bad things about getting your gall bladder taken out
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2016, 10:42 PM
    Have it taken out. You don't really need it to live a full and productive life.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 18, 2016, 03:24 AM
    Had mine out 10 years ago - in at 9 am, surgery around 11, out as soon as I was coherent, early afternoon. Took 1 narcotic that night and none in the days following. Only felt sore muscles when getting out of bed for a few days.
    3 tiny incisions with melting stitches.
    Not a single after effect ever.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I returned from the doctor today. It appears I have many large gall stones.

The doctor said they had two choices, (not one recommendation)

Choose 1.
    They do surgery and remove the entire gallbladder. Cost 8000 RMB

Choose 2

They open the gallbladder up, clean it out, and sew it back up. So you keep the gallbladder. Cost 15,000 RMB

I can find out lots about gallbladder being taken out which appears to be common in the US. It appears just taking out the stones and leaving the gallbladder, is more an Asian thing.

I would like to hear about any of your stories, good things or bad things about getting your gall bladder taken out
    I would take it out. IF you develop gallstones once, you'll do it again. There are some digestive issues afterwards, but once you know how your body will react, they're easy to manage. Solve the problem for good.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 18, 2016, 09:10 AM
    I didn't have any issues, digestive or otherwise.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2016, 09:43 AM
    My dad had his out in 2003 and had no issues. He was in overnight I believe.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 09:44 AM
    I know MANY people who have had theirs removed without any issues.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 09:48 AM
    When my wife eats certain things that were okay before the surgery she gets an unhappy bum now.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2016, 11:11 AM
    That's the Fats... you have issues with digesting fats with a malfunctioning or removed Gaul bladder. Wife has one that's marginal now... and as long as she avoids eating very much much of certain foods.. she does fine.

Mother had hers out and has the same issues... I wouldn't say life goes on exactly like before... but after minor adjustments to your diet... it pretty much does. (Minor if you didn't eat a high fat diet before)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 08:18 PM
    Thanks guys, (and gals) that is about the same as my Facebook friends are telling me.

No one day hospital here, (sadly) will be in at least 3 days up to 7 days, but they keep people in the hospital here much longer, where in America we go back for a check up in so many days, here, they often keep you in hospital to that point. But that is just how it is here.

I am waiting till next week, and see how much my insurance will pay, and hope it is better than when I had my eye surgery last year. Will keep you updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gallbladder surgery staples [ 7 Answers ]

I had gallbladder surgery on September 4th of 2013, and I still get pain when stretching as well as sharp pain if I push my finger where my galbladder use to be and where the 2 staples are present. Is this normal for being 7months ago? I have a lot of medal allergies could there be an...

I'm having surgery tomorrow to remove my iud has anyone had this surgery? [ 0 Answers ]

My iud has gone into my abdomonen and they are doing surgery to remove it tomorrow. I am very nervous they had 3 doctors the other day try and remove while they saw the iud on an ultrasound they found it but whenever they tried to get it with the forceps it would not come out, after trying for a...

What can I eat after gallbladder surgery? [ 6 Answers ]

Its been 4-5 weeks & I can't hold down food. Ive tried eating all kinds of stuff... from fruits and veggies to soups and crackers. I need help solving my tummy troubles. Ive looked up information about my problem and all I'm getting are complete horror stories about how everyone seeking the same...

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

Gallbladder what can I [ 2 Answers ]

I have gallbladder diease I'm afraid to eat because it makes me worse and I was told to eat veg. and friut but there has to be something else for me to eat.. someone please help

View more questions Search