Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lush469 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2016, 06:20 PM
    Need to split 2 lights onto 2 switches
    Hi. I currently have 1 bedroom with 2 lights wired to 1 switch. I am dividing this into 2 bedrooms so I need to split the lights up onto 2 different switches so that each bedroom has its own light with its own switch. How do I do this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2016, 07:25 PM
    You call an electrician, this is a major job, that will require rewiring one light completely, and minor changes to the wiring on the other.

If you have to ask, how to do it, you are not qualified to do it. (sorry)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2016, 08:16 PM
    Depends on how they are currently wired. They can be through wired or switch looped. Best solution would be to find an outlet in the room without a light, either wire up to a new install or convert a wall outlet to a switched outlet. Either way it will require cutting into walls. Last possibility is to use an existing outlet, get a remote conversion plug in and connect a light to it. You would have a battery remote switch that will turn the outlet on. You can use a swag light connection or no ceiling light.
    lush469 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2016, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You call an electrician, this is a major job, that will require rewiring one light completely, and minor changes to the wiring on the other.

If you have to ask, how to do it, you are not qualified to do it. (sorry)
    Well then I guess you best inform everyone else on here asking how to wire things that they aren't qualified either. I hope you have never asked for help with something. Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 08:29 AM
    What you have to do depends on how things are done now.

If the power is being fed to the ceiling box, say light one, you can run a two conductor cable (3-wire) to the new switch location from light one or from light two.

If you run the new switch cable from light one you would connect the wire going to the new switch (white) to the hot coming in to the ceiling box. Just like the present switch is connected. You would remove the hot (black) going to light two from its present connection to the black coming from the present switch. You would then connect the black going to light two to the black coming from switch two.

If you run your new switch cable from light two, in light one you would remove the black going to light two from its present connection to the black from the present switch. Connect the black going to light two to the hot (black) coming into the ceiling box.
    In light two, connect the black coming in from light one to the white going to the new switch. Connect the black coming back from the switch to the light.

If power is being fed to the present switch, You would remove the existing 2 conductor (3-wire) cable between the switch and light one. Replace it with a 3 conductor (4-wire) cable. Connect the neutral (white) coming in to white of the new 3 conductor cable. Connect the hot (black) coming in to the red of the 3-conductor cable and add a pig tail. Connect the pig tail to one of the switch terminals. Connect the black of the 3 conductor cable to the other switch terminal.

At light one, connect the white of the 3-conductor cable from the switch to the light and to the white going to light two. Connect the black of the 3 conductor cable to the light. Connect the red of the 3 conductor cable to the black going to light two.

Run a new 2-conductor cable from light two to the new switch location. Connect the black from light one to the white going to the new switch. Connect the black from the new switch to the light.

You could also run the cable to the new switch from light one. If you do that you would connect the red of the new 3 conductor cable to the white going to the new switch. Connect the black from the new switch to the black going to light two.

Of course if power is being fed to the present switch you could run a new cable from that switch box to the new switch location and a new cable from the new switch to light two. Or you could run that a new cable from the present switch to light two and a new cable from light two to the new switch. In either case you would remove the cable between light one and light two.

You tell me how things are presently wired and how you would like to do it and I will draw you a diagram.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lush469 View Post
    Hi. I currently have 1 bedroom with 2 lights wired to 1 switch. I am dividing this into 2 bedrooms so I need to split the lights up onto 2 different switches so that each bedroom has its own light with its own switch. How do I do this?
    I have to agree with Fr. Chuck. If you are asking for a wire by wire explanation then there are far too many variables.
    It's like you are asking "I want to change the alternator in my car, how do I do this?"
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 19, 2016, 05:07 AM
    Just curious, but are the ceilings and walls coming down in the room you want to subdivide?

I ask because the task of feeding the second light from the first light involves pulling a cable. That task is either easy or a real pain depending on the way the ceiling joists are traveling.

The same is true for pulling the switch loop cable fro m the new switch outlet to the light fixture, also a moderate difficulty task.

Can you find a receptacle outlet in the new portion to use as a feed to the light? If you can, then you can pull a cable from the receptacle outlet to the new switch outlet?

Cut the cable at the switch outlet and connect white to white (cap off), black from recept. to the bottom of the switch and the other black to the top of the switch. Pull the cable from the switch recept. to the light fixture and connect white to white, black to black.

Make very sure all ground (bare) conductors are connected and both the switch and the light fixture are grounded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 switches with 2 lights [ 6 Answers ]

I know how to wire 2 switches with 2 lights, however I need a special wiring. Switches will be named A and B, and lights 1 and 2. Basically what I need is for Switch A to open/close light 1 only, and Switch B to open/close light 1 and 2. It should work in a way that even if Switch A is...

4 Lights, 2 separate switches each operating 2 lights, 1 circuit [ 1 Answers ]

This is the situation we have in our detached garage. We are attempting to run 4 lights on one circuit with 2 separate control switches. (Not 3-way). All wire is 14/2. Power from panel comes in to light #1. Light #2 is fed from light #1. These two lights will be controlled by switch #1. Cable...

Two switches and two lights [ 4 Answers ]

I have one gfi plug and a dual switch. One switch powers the light over the sink the other the garbage disposal. Not sure how to wire it. Tried main power into gfi and jumped it to switch then pigtail to second switch. Both black wires for the light and disposal are attached to each of their...

Wiring spst lighted rocker switches to split duplex receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking for help to wire some 16A spst lighted rocker switches to some split duplex receptacles so that each switch will control one outlet on each receptacle. I am doing this to create a panel which will allow me to turn on/off the equipment for my aquarium. This way I can choose...

Lights and switches [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago we went to replace the bulb in my sons closet and it wouldn't work.. so we never got aorund of calling a electrician yet.. thinking it might be the wires where you put in the bulbs... well the light bulb was out in my laundry room last night so I replaced it and went to cut it on...

View more questions Search