Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwoiler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2016, 10:48 AM
    Can I live for 2 years in the country of my spouse for ease of immigration?
    I read a few years ago, that one way for my spouse to immigrate to this country was for me to live with her 2 years in her country. Then, after 2 years, we would go to the US embassy there and the processing was immediate for her to immigrate. As I search today, I can not find this option. Is it buried? Or is this no longer possible.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2016, 11:05 AM
    You better research it a lot better... because there are LONG waiting lists for certain countries... and if she is here illegally (like in the USA or many other countries) it becomes exceptionally difficult or even impossible in many cases to ever get them legal.

You might not even be able to live in her country legally for even 2 years much less longer.

I'd contact the INS and ask them what options are open. As I said, what country she is a citizen of now plays a great deal of importance in what you will face next.

It just MIGHT be easier to live in her country why you make applications for her at the US Embassy there. Either of you becoming illegal in your status will significantly complicate things.

Several things to be certain of...its not automatic, its not easy...and its not cheap. And its also not quick.

Been through this myself personally...and had rather significant problems and my wife was not from a country that factors into the serious problem of illegals here. Those are the countries you have the most trouble with.

What you don't want to do is take any actions that will cause her status to become illegal here. That will cause far more problems than you would face otherwise.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Feb 16, 2016, 05:27 PM
    You are thinking of Direct Consular Filing (DCF), which is only available in the US consulates for some countries but not others. Usually, you would file a petition with a place in the US, and then after they process it and approve it they would send it to the consulate. But in consulates that support DCF, if the petitioner has been residing legally long-term in the country, then they allow you to submit the petition directly to the consulate, which would make it a little faster. However, the regular non-DCF process for US citizens to petition immediate relatives only takes about a year from filing of petition to getting of immigrant visa. DCF, if available, is maybe faster by a few months. Therefore, it makes no sense for you to delay a few years just to use DCF.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident filing, no ITIN for spouse, spouse not in country [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Iam filing as a non-resident since my stay was less than 180 days last year. My situation is my wife and daughter came along with me but had to go back immediately (within a month) due to personal emergency at my home in India and I couldn't apply for their ITIN in time due to this. They...

Spouse of 11 years and adult children of spouse who inherits property [ 1 Answers ]

Tx. Spouse dies after 11 years . Of marriage. Spouse had property before marriage. Does husband and spouses children split property , or do the children get all property.

Immigration from one GCC country to another [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I am presently working in one of the GCC nation on residential visa of one year with resignation notice period of one month. I want to join another company locasted t another GCC country. My present employer is reluctant to leave me on the context their project will be affected....

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

View more questions Search