Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyF21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2016, 02:02 PM
    Birth Control at 53? Pre menopause? Help!
    Hi Im 53yo. Had a Mirena IUD for the last 10 years. Removed it Oct 1 2015. Due to my age, the doctor didn't want me to insert another one, or any hormones for that matter. 7 weeks after removal, I had a very heavy period. Then 2 more periods 26 days apart.

I'm sexually active so I went back to ob/gyn for a birth control discussion. They suggested a blood test to check my level of fertility. Last period was Jan 9, blood test was Jan 28.

My FSH was 37 my Estradiol was 151 and my Progesterone was 1.2. All other metabolic / CBC showed numbers in a normal range. I have not had a period since my last one Jan 9. This is Feb 14. Now I am concerned. Am I still fertile? Is menopause around the corner for me? What type of BC would you recommend for me at this point?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2016, 08:09 PM
    Your form of birth control (if any) is a personal choice based on your body, your beliefs and the social norms where you live. (we are an international site)

If you are having periods, then pregnancy is possible.

No birth control is 100 percent, the IUD is one of the more effective methods and the choice my wife does.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 15, 2016, 06:19 AM
    Despite providing good information here, it isn't really enough, and you should see the same doctor. Leave a message about your late period so they can decide how soon. Your periods are bound to be irregular for a while, just from the IUD removal, but for a multitude of possible reasons. Even though I have a feeling that you aren't pregnant just because of the odds at 53, what's the point in 1,000 people guessing? My periods stopped totally at age 50. But of course women vary widely.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 17, 2016, 07:18 AM
    Did they discuss your fertility with you after your tests? The simple answer is that removing birth control (especially after a long period of time) will cause a change in your cycle like your experiencing. It's also possible that perimenopause is the culprit. That said, as long as you're having a period, assume you are fertile unless a doctor tells you otherwise. There are too many factors in play for us to venture a guess, so really, stay in touch with your physician to get the best answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy with pre and birth control [ 2 Answers ]

Well I had sex on the 19th February 2013. Its now April 4th 2013.He didn't ejaculate inside me but there might have been pre . I told him to pull out because I just couldn't do it as it felt wrong. Anyway I took my pill everyday. But I didn't take it at the same time everyday. Im at the end of my...

Pre menopause [ 0 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP ME, ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY! I'm not sexually active and never been with a man and not planning on it. My Question: I'm currently taking ortho tri cyclen lo tabs just for medical reason, to avoid cramping and bleeding heavy. I do have uterine fibroid at which they found years ago....

Age 30 Pre Menopause want to get pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk, My wife is aged 30. She is not having regular periods. We consulted a doctor. He says it is pre menopause and that eggs are not being formed in her ovaries, hence she cannot be pregnant. He also said that at the time of birth the number of eggs in the ovaries are defined (is it...

Can the depo shot caue pre menopause [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on the depo shot and wondering if it can cause pre menopause and also cause a person go fertile non depo shot state permantly :confused:

Pre-Menopause: What to Say to Her [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in a stable relationship for the last 6 years, my girlfriend is 40, I'm 38. She appears to be entering a pre-menopausal state where her periods become irregular and she has erratic mood shifts and loss of sex drive. Naturally enough it is dominating her mind now, she fears losing her...

View more questions Search