Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ady108 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2016, 01:24 PM
    Am I related to my ex wife?
    Does anyone know if I am legally related to my ex wife?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 14, 2016, 01:32 PM
    Bit of a loaded question. If the divorce is final, technically you are unrelated in any legal sense to your ex. But if hidden assets surface, or you have shared children, your divorce can be revived like Carrie thrusting her hand up through the gravel.

In fact, there have been cases of exes who dragged the ex back to court for NEW assets, like winning the lottery, or having stock that suddenly tripled, on the grounds that they would have been awarded part of it not long ago.

Why don't you tell us why you ask?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2016, 08:12 PM
    Did you marry you cousin or niece? If you did, they are still related to you.

Marriage gives a legal relationship of husband and wife, but you are not actually related by blood (again unless you marry a relative, which is done in many cultures)

Divorce ends any legal relationship of husband and wife.

The issue of course is the term related, since we are not really related to our husband or wife, they are merely a legal partnership established by the state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In movie husband thinks his wife is with woman at house but his wife is with boy [ 0 Answers ]

I want to know about movie in which a feminine looking boy at house husband goes out for some work by thinking wife is with female but the fact is she is with boy

Mrs wife being sued for child support by ex-wife of my deceased husband [ 5 Answers ]

Am I legally responsible for my late husbands child support? The ex-wife and custodial parent is now collecting social security for the minor children. There is no estate equity, only personal belongings. There was no life insurance in place, only a retirement policy, which she was awarded half of...

A doctor wife and a book writter husband moves in with the husbans mother and the wife [ 0 Answers ]

Book writter husband moves in with the husbans mother. The wife who is bored sexually has some fun with the mother and her famous band playing boyfriend.

Am I related to my step sisters husbands brothers wife's family? [ 5 Answers ]

My brother in laws wife's sisters son likes me, is it OK to date him?

H1B with H4 Wife and Citizen Son; how to file ITIN for Wife currently abroad. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I filed my return as single for 2007 as my wife joined me in late December 07. In 08 we had baby and whole year my wife was here, she is abroad for a while with baby and will be back only after may. I don't have ITIN for her; have social for my son though. How do I get ITIN because they ask...

View more questions Search