Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judylolivas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2016, 11:17 PM
    Pregnant teen
    Is it safe for my 18 year old daughter that is pregnant to attend beauty school due to all the chemicals with hair rsolutions in nails
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 14, 2016, 12:44 AM
    There are many pregnant cosmetologists. As long as her learning environment is well ventilated she should be fine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2016, 02:22 AM
    And unless there is other health problems that this work could affect. While I do not see any problem is it is well vented (as noted above) it is always good for her to talk with her own doctor.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 14, 2016, 04:28 PM
    J_9 is an OB nurse, so she knows her stuff. I do have one concern though.

Pregnant women are told not to color their hair because it's dangerous during pregnancy. Now I realize that it's because the hair dye is going on the head, and going into pores, and can, I'm guessing, go into the blood stream? Maybe it's not only about the fumes?

But, I have to ask, if it's not safe to dye your hair during pregnancy, is it safe to do dye jobs, possibly one or more a day, during pregnancy, even in a well ventilated room?

How far along is she? Could she put off beauty school until after the baby is born? That's what I would do, just to be safe. There are so many things that we don't know about, that can cause long term effects. I would err on the side of caution. But that's just me.

She should definitely discuss this with her doctor.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2016, 07:29 PM
    There is much debate on using hair dye when pregnant. Many believe that any risk would be extremely minimal or unlikely, and consider it okay. Some will be more cautious and only dye their hair after the first trimester, and some prefer to hold off until after baby is born.

With limited research on the subject, it often comes down to the midwife's or doctor's recommendation and/or the mother's comfort level.

I would say that in addition to training in a well ventilated environment, being diligent with wearing gloves would also be wise.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 17, 2016, 07:52 AM
    It might be wise to use a simple mask when using chemicals like hair dye and nail polish, acetone, etc. but it's probably not a serious risk. Just a quick call to her doctor's office should answer those types of questions.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2016, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    J_9 is an OB nurse, so she knows her stuff. I do have one concern though.

Pregnant women are told not to color their hair because it's dangerous during pregnancy. Now I realize that it's because the hair dye is going on the head, and going into pores, and can, I'm guessing, go into the blood stream? Maybe it's not only about the fumes?

But, I have to ask, if it's not safe to dye your hair during pregnancy, is it safe to do dye jobs, possibly one or more a day, during pregnancy, even in a well ventilated room?

How far along is she? Could she put off beauty school until after the baby is born? That's what I would do, just to be safe. There are so many things that we don't know about, that can cause long term effects. I would err on the side of caution. But that's just me.

She should definitely discuss this with her doctor.
    The concern is with adequate ventilation. Also, the hormonal changes affect the shaft of the hair, so hair colors may not take right, perms may take faster or longer, it's on an individual basis.

Again, the main concern is adequate ventilation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know I'm a pregnant teen? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I just had sex for the first time, but we didn't use protection. I was on my period when it happened but after that I been spotting. Could I be pregnant?

Can I be pregnant. I'm a teen please help [ 7 Answers ]

So my boyfriend and I messed around yesterday. He didn't put it in me he Just jerk off to my vagina. When he came he rubbed his tip between the lips down there. I am now ovulating so can I be pregnant? 1 hour ago - 4 days left to answer. Additional Details He said he didn't leak when he was...

13 teen and maybe pregnant? [ 3 Answers ]

Heeey there this ad is for my friend she recently had sex with boyfriend but didn't mean for it 2 happen and forgetting the condom her boyfriend lied and said it was on with it being PITCH dark she couldn't tell if it was on or off but she told him to stop aftr like 15 minutes but he wouoldnt he...

. I'm a teen and need to know if I could be pregnant. [ 18 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had sex. And we used a condom. After that I gave him head. Then he put it back in for like 15 seconds without a condom. I was wondering if his penis could still have had sperm on it even after I gave him head and could I be pregnant?

View more questions Search