Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    penny2014 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2016, 06:30 PM
    I am the contractor can another one be hired without first telling me
    I am the contractor. I was to build a inside wall. After job was done, later customer was not happy. Without informing me, hired another contractor to work on wall because they were not happy with work. And because they were unhappy with my work, they want me to pay the new contractor for work that has been done on wall because they say it was my fault. Can they make me and by law were they suppose to inform me first before they hired other contractor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2016, 06:43 PM
    Do you have a written contract? If so, what does it say about approving the work? Did they inform you they were not happy with the work and give you a chance to fix the issues?

They have every right to hire a new contractor without informing you. There are no laws that I am aware of that would prevent that. But laws vary by area so you should check with your local Consumer Affairs agency.

You said they were not happy. Did they inform you they weren't happy? Did they explain why? Did they give you a chance to fix it? I don't think they can legally hold you responsible for the costs unless they first gave you notice of their unhappiness and a chance to fix it. However, if they did inform you and you told them nothing was wrong and wouldn't fix it, then they can probably hold you responsible. I would expect that the second contractor took pictures and would be prepared to testify of the problems.

So what happens now is you tell them
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2016, 10:51 PM
    When you were finished, before they paid you, where they unhappy, did they tell you?

They would need to inform you and give you a chance to redo the work normally, but if your work was to such a poor standard, that other contractors would testify of the poor workmanship, perhaps they would not have to allow you a chance to redo.

Also if you do not have proper licenses, that could be an issue (I am sure you do, just a lot of unlicensed ones running around)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hired contractor to roof house & paid deposit 2215 & he has not done anything [ 3 Answers ]

I hired a roofing contractor to put a new metal roof on my home. He received a deposit of 2,215 to purchase materials & start job the next week. He never called or showed up. After finally getting him to respond to a text message he said that he would start the following Wed. - he never called or...

I hired a contractor to fix my roof and it still leaks - can I sue? [ 1 Answers ]

In August of 2010 I hired a roofing contractor to fix a leak in the roof where my sunroom joins the main house. It was leaking only into the sunroom. We agreed upon a price of $250 to repair the seam. He went up and caulked and tarred the seam. It didn't work. He came back on several occasions...

Quarterly Taxes [ F1 visa and on OPT hired as an independent contractor (1099) ] [ 2 Answers ]

I am on an F1 visa and am on OPT(17 month STEM Extension) hired as an independent contractor (1099). It has been exactly 2.5 years since I came to the US. Do I have to pay quarterly taxes ? Thanks, Abhishek

Hired a bad contractor [ 7 Answers ]

Long story short; my husband and I hired a contractor to install a patio in our yard. He did a lousy job, agreed he did a lousy job, and agreed to re-do it. He ripped it out, left us with a gravel pit and we never heard from him again. After many ignored phone calls we filed against him in small...

View more questions Search