Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rt16mt1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Telephone Jacks
    I just moved into a new home. The previous owner had 4 jacks, one which I know was working since they hadn't canceled their phone service and the phone had a dial tone and we received calls. When it was canceled, I ordered service from the same company, Verizon, now only 1 jack is working and not the one that had been previously on. Telephone co says it is inside, but the jack that was working last Friday isn't now. Can it be that 3 jacks now don't work?
    Help,
    Rose
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 07:41 AM
    I can't guess the solution without doing some tests but here is a thought. Call the previous owner or your agent if you used one in the sale. Hidden faults are the responsibility of the old owner in nearly all cases. Tell him/them your problem and that you want it repaired.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Did the phone company actually come out? Go out and open up your NID, the box the telephone wire connects to. If there is only 2 wires coming in, or only the red and green pair connected, then the red and green pair from any jack that is connected to the incoming pair should work. If there are several pairs coming in and different pairs connected to them, then you need to identify the working pair and connect all the jacks you want to use to it. You are allowed to work on the wiring on the house side of the NID.

People show up here claiming to know about phone wiring. I would be just as happy to leave questions like this to somebody that knows more than me, but they never seem to be here when somebody has a question. I am usually very happy to leave questions to those that know more than me.

Post back with what you find in the NID
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Apr 19, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Did the previous owner happen to have multiple numbers at the house?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Previous owner may have had a fax line(the jack that working now)and the other was their voice. Or maybe tennager/someone had separate line.
    An easy solution maybe to look at box outside. Does it look like it had more than one line?
    If so, Remove one pair, does phone still work, if so, connect the wires that are disconnected to the wires that are still connected. Might be something like a red and yellow
    On one post and green and black post(positive voltage)

Or Remove all Jack from wall and make sure all jacks are wired same as good jack
    The center 2 pins are line 1, Good jack should have red/green to red green.
    It could also be yellow phone wire to jack red wire and black phone wire will go to green jack wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Footers for Floor Jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have two sagging joists under the refrigerator in our kitchen and am having to place a floor jack in to lever a sagging joist in our home. There is a crawl space under it and am told I need to pour a concrete footer to support the jack. How big should the footer be? Tks.

Connect Dead Phone Jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently moved into a house, and only 2 of the 6 phone jacks work. I only have one line... I've already compared the "working" jacks to the non-working jacks, and they seem to have a similar configuration. The outside wires are all going to line one. Any ideas how to get these phone jacks...

Telephone [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 7 year old Uniden telephone in the kitchen that has a wireless hand set and speaker in the base. The AC adapter is making a very soft buzzing sound that we had never noticed before. Should the whole works or the adapter be replaced? We are leery since an old computer popped that was...

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search