Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mbwoessner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2016, 10:28 AM
    ADT Monitoring
    We just cancelled monitoring with ADT, they stated that they would be sending a reset signal to the system that will make it useless. If I disconnect the two wires marked (incoming phone) will this prevent them from resetting my system? I have a cellular connection. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2016, 12:05 PM
    Whether that does or not, it would be unethical for us to tell you how and for you to do it, if not illegal.

If you cancelled monitoring then you are giving up the system.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2016, 01:30 PM
    Buy your own standalone system you have control over... problem solved.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2016, 06:48 PM
    If you paid for the system, it's yours whether they monitor it or not. Check your contract.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2016, 08:32 PM
    Normally on ADT, they actually own the equipment, and you have just been renting and/or paying for the service. (you sometimes buy the extra things like door alarms and so on.

Also are you at the end of your contract? You do know that if you cancel mid contract you will still owe them, even if they disconnect.

The wireless transmitter and receiver if disconnected, also keeps any communication from happening, in most you will start getting a constant beep, beep, beep if the system can not communicate with ADT (showing communication error)
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Feb 21, 2016, 09:37 AM
    Hello

This all depends on what country you are in , though here in New Zealand if you have been on contract with them for so long , you own the alarm system and if you wish can set it up with another monitoring company.

Now once cancelling of monitoring has occurred that's it , they have nothing to do with your alarm system , unless you haven't paid for it, so really shouldn't be able to reset your system like they said making it useless, heck you paid for the tech to come out and program it as well.

So what do you think would happen if the phone line or cellphone receiver to it which allows it to communicate with ADT was pulled out. Fr_Chuck answered part of that in his third sentence.

@ Fr_chuck

Normally on ADT, they actually own the equipment, and you have just been renting and/or paying for the service.

Depends on country and contract , some contracts depending on how long you have them , you own the equipment after a period of time , here it can be 3 to 5 years.

You sometimes buy the extra things like door alarms and so on.

Very true if you buy a basic package ( Panel , Keypad , 3 Sensor , Internal Siren , keypad ) and want extra sensors , sirens , keypads or a smoke alarm ect.

@ Smoothy what do you mean by a standalone system , do you mean a system where you can have a tech program it to contact one or more cellphone numbers as the monitor or more or less you own phone or those of friends or family members.

A lot of systems can do that , even from memory ADT and Chubb ones.

@ Talanium " If you paid for the system, it's yours whether they monitor it or not. Check your contract. "

Totally correct and depending on what you want you can buy the system up front or pay off under the monitoring fees over 3-5 years or however long you want.

BTW = Yes to your question though I guess you already know that.

Also unethical would be them resetting your alarm system after you have paid a tech to come out and program it so it works, noting it still works without coms to monitoring station.

Note = I have been a tech , installed and wired alarms so I do know this stuff.

Hope this helps.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2016, 10:57 AM
    WHat do I mean stand alone?

I mean buy your own system YOU install and YOU have FULL control over. You have more and better options that way. Some of them can be set up to call your cell phone etc... Anything installed by a place like ADT or another is going to be built with ONLY what their system needs to use and not stuff it doesn't. Dollars and even pennies per unit add up when you consider large numbers of systems are at play.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cancelled ADT Monitoring on my Safewatch Pro 3000 [ 4 Answers ]

The ADT person I contacted to cancel service kept harassing me to stay as a customer and told me if I cancelled my hardwired smoke and fire alarms would not sound and I wouldn't be "safe". I thought the system would still sound and function even though they just don't monitor it anymore is that...

Monitoring calls [ 2 Answers ]

My friend wants to get all calls from his cell phon in the past and future!how would she do that!

Adt security [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have purchased the installation of an alarm security system for my business. The vendor name is adt security. What accounts should I post for the purchase of the alarm system? Each month, which accounts will I post if any. What category in accounts would this fall under i.e.....

Chat monitoring [ 2 Answers ]

How can I know if anyone in the network is monitoring my chatting on yahoo/msn

View more questions Search