Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 04:10 AM
    Is it expected to leave a tip for hotel staff at end of stay?
    I've been here for 4 nights. They have those little cards that say "Your room was prepared for you by Monique". Is it still customary to leave a tip?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 13, 2007, 04:59 AM
    I think it's entirely up to you, I've never left a tip for maids before.

If you're not going to use the same hotel again, I don't see a point tbh.

Actually, even if you are going to I don't see a point, I doubt the maids will know the name of the occupant so you won't get less of a service next time!

(But then again, I am from Yorkshire and we're apparently all... how does the saying go... 'Tight as a duck's @rse!' Lol!)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 05:02 AM
    The tipping expectance is totally different between England and America, I don't think we are positioned to give good advice, HuntersBar :)

Apr 13, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Ha ha, will they poo under your pillow if you don't tip in America?

I've been to the US twice and didn't tip the maids there either!

OMG, do American maids hate tight UK people? Lol!

(sorry, I thought he meant in Canada though! Is that the same etiquette as the US on tipping?)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Personally I would ask at reception and see if there is a general tip box that all the staff get a share of I worked in the hotel trade on and off for 4 years and I have to say unless the person is serving you food I see no point in tipping.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 05:06 AM
    You mean it isn't normal for them to poo under your pillow?? I should tip more often!
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 05:11 AM
    LOL - You guys crack me up.

Yes, if it is in the good Ole US - tips are expected. Sadly, the salary that those who rely heavily on tips make, is just awful.

You are all too funny :) I mean that in a very loving way. :)

p.s. Yes NK that's why they have the little envelope for Monique. Hope this info helps :)

Apr 13, 2007, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Reservior Dogs (Heavily Edited for younger viewers
    Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
    Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
    Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
    Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make s***.
    Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
    Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a f****** Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
    Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
    Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
    Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and s*** your d***?
    Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.
    Ok, next question... how much do you tip them then?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Thanks for the info all.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Not saying I agree with all of this... but here is a helpful site about tipping. Specifically for NK's question - here is what the site suggest:

Maid service - $1-5 per day typically, up to $10 per day depending upon how much mess you make. Tip daily because there might be a different maid each day. Leave the tip on your pillow. Err on the side of being generous, and tip on the last day also.

They suggest tip each day, but hubby and I tip at the end of our stay. Geez, didn't think about the different maid each day.:o

Here is the link:

Tipping Etiquette Guide at FindaLink.net
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Apr 14, 2007, 09:12 PM
    I tip them most of the time, but that is just because I feel that they do not make enough money. Most of the maids are probably making only a dollar or two above minimum wage (which isn't enough to live on but that is another topic) and they have to clean up all sorts of crazy stuff. I figure if I can give them a few dollars and make their day, I might as well.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 01:49 PM
    It is actually hard to poo on someone's pillow, can u imagine it?LOL
    I stay in hotels a lot in the US for business trip. I tip at breakfast, and I sometimes leave my money/changes on the draw in my room , they never got stolen. So I assume, u don't need to tip, if u do, then why they didn't take the money I left on the draw?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 01:56 PM
    One of my neighbors works for Comfort Inn/Comfort Suites and she tells me never to tip. The reason being is that seldom does the tip wind up in the rightful hands. The first person in the room takes the tip and one has to rely on that person's honesty to turn it in to the front desk for the rightful person. She says it happens so frequently. There is even a maid where she works that looks for the vacanies and runs to the rooms to pilfer the tips. This woman was caught twice already and still not fired.

My neighbor was once left an envelope, with her name on it, with $20.00 in the envelope. The envelope and the money gone. How she found out was the customer (a regular customer) asked her the next time he and his wife were staying if she got the tip.

So I do not tip either, unless I find the person who was making up my room and hand it directly to him or her.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Usually when they take the time to identify themselves like that they are expecting you to tip. I usually leave something at the end of a stay, the idea above for a total daily tip paid at the end is the way I usually go.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
    I never "tip" for something that I am not getting a service for.

If I call for room service, or if I require special needs, then I will give a tip to the person who actually helps with it. Or if I leave the room in more than a mess than normal, I will leave a tip for those that clean up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I stay or leave [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I'm 28 with three kids I meet my husband when I was 18 years old Got married a year a half later. We had to girls and then when my youngest daughter was almost three he left me for another woman (a friend of mine). We were separated for almost two years. He had a baby boy with her and I got...

Leave or stay [ 7 Answers ]

Should I be up set that my husband looks at other woman that are not dress more then he looks at me and he as a email that he thinks I don't know about:confused: is it wrong for me to get mad or is are marrieds really gone and there know coming back because that's how I feel any more

Should I leave or stay in a relationship that isn't going anywhere? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend Kenny(24)and I(20) have been together 5 months and living together 4, It seems like we are stuck, It doesnt seem like he can see it going any farther, I would love to be with him for a really long time but he seems hung up over his ex-fiance of 6 yrs, they broke up 2 yrs ago but they...

Should I leave or should I stay [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my fiancée he is a good man good father and we are about to walk down the isle in 2 months the problem I have is 2 years ago I found a message text on his phone with when is the big day I love you kiss kiss so I confronted my partner and he told me that was an old male...

Should I stay or leave [ 6 Answers ]

:( me and my mother in law had a argument about two months ago, she lives right next to me, anyway she thinks she has to run my family well now it is causeing problems in my marriage. I have been married for 16 years and this is the first time we have talked about divorce, we have never even fought...

View more questions Search