Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jvretenar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2016, 05:51 AM
    Minimum operating temperature
    I have a cabin with 98% efficient furnace. How cold can I leave cabin temperature before damaging furnace?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2016, 01:31 PM
    There are a few things that have to be considered.

1. The type of heat you have. Hot air, steam, hot water?

2. Will you be using cabin in the cold months?

3. Will be draining the hot water heater.

4. If on a well, will you be shutting down the well or on city water shutting of the water.

After hunting season I drain all my water systems and shut every thing down till the spring. I have been doing this for about 30yrs. and have had no problems.

If you want to leave it operational then I would not go any lower then 55 degrees.

Chuck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2016, 04:58 PM
    I have a 92% in my cabin. In the winter, I leave the house at 52*, not so much for the heater but to better preserve the structure. Without periodic air movement, you can run the risk of increased humidity and possible mold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minimum inside temperature for heat pump furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an air source heat pump with propane backup. The system switches to propane when the outside temp is below 26 degrees. I want to turn the inside temp down as low as possible, while gone for a couple of months. What is the lowest inside temperature that I should set it at? I have heard...

Landlord tenant law pennsylvania-heat-minimum allowable temperature [ 1 Answers ]

Landlord tenant law pennsylvania-heat-minimum allowable temperature for owner paid heat

Minimum Room Temperature for a Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

Simply as a space saver initiative, I moved my back-up fridge into my cold room, average room temperature between 8 and 10 degrees Celsius, but the freezer compartment does not seem to function properly. Its not freezing water or meats completely. Is there a minimum room temperature required for...

Heat pumps and minimum outdoor temperature [ 2 Answers ]

I had a heat pump installed a few months ago. The installer set the auxillery heat to take over at 25 degrees. The heat pump has no problem heating my house at this temperature, but I am worried that it is less efficient at these low temperatures than my gas furnace. My worry is not about the...

Minimum safe ambient temperature for furnace operation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home with a gas fired downflow furnace. The furnace was installed in 1995 and is manufacturered by Coleman. In order to save on the energy bill I am considering lowering the setpoint on the T-stat below the 55 deg F minimum position . I can accomplish this by using an old mercury...

View more questions Search