Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahpotter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2016, 10:47 AM
    Help With My College MAjor?
    Okay, so I'm in college, and I'm honestly scared to death because everyone around me seems to know exactly what they want to do in life and I don't. I know a lot of people say "Oh it'll be fine. It will come to you." but I'm so sick of that answer. I need opinions outside of my family, friends, and college. So can anyone help?

I'm in love with hair, makeup, fashion, all of that. But I also love theatre and acting. My dream job would be working behind the scenes with costumes and makeup for a place like Broadway. Now I realize that's quite a long shot, but a girl can dream, right? I know what I love to do, I just don't know what college major I should have to make it happen. Advice anyone? Throw any and all opinions out here. The more, the better!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 11:30 AM
    The first two years should be all the courses you will need to be anything you want including a doctor, lawyer, rocket scientist, engineer, teacher, or social worker! Translation- A good paying job until you can get your dream job, because dreams or not a person has to eat and put a roof over their heads until they make it big.

What kind of college are you in NOW? Unless it's a cosmetology school, you better get the bang that your buck is paying for, just in case it takes awhile for that dream to come true.

All everyone is telling you is focus on making those grades the first two years (You can always change directions after getting that associates degree after 2 years.), and declare your (NEW) major later, and that's sound advice. Just worry about building the foundations to build your dreams. If I remember right the first two years are just meeting basic college requirements anyway. So what are you really scared of, since it doesn't matter which way you decide to go after the first two years?

When in doubt, listen to your parents and academic advisors, no decision needed right now, unless it's your third year anyway. Is it?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 10, 2016, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahpotter View Post
    Okay, so I'm in college, and I'm honestly scared to death because everyone around me seems to know exactly what they want to do in life and I don't. I know a lot of people say "Oh it'll be fine. It will come to you." but I'm so sick of that answer. I need opinions outside of my family, friends, and college. So can anyone help?

I'm in love with hair, makeup, fashion, all of that. But I also love theatre and acting. My dream job would be working behind the scenes with costumes and makeup for a place like Broadway. Now I realize that's quite a long shot, but a girl can dream, right? I know what I love to do, I just don't know what college major I should have to make it happen. Advice anyone? Throw any and all opinions out here. The more, the better!
    Look up theater techs. There are several schools, mostly smaller colleges/universities, that do this style of course. You learn how to do the behind the scenes stuff for movies, plays, and the like. I had a friend that did these courses and she got jobs on movies, on a disney cruise, and is currently working in london. It isn't out of your reach, but you need to know what you want and where to get it and where you're going to go after that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2016, 09:27 PM
    In general, about 1/4 the people who graduate college with a major, never work in it. And a large amount of people change their major 2 or 3 times while I school.

So, you need several things, if your university has a drama department, see what majors they offer, You will have to learn in major, all the aspects of the drama area, from all the back stage positions, and acting normally. There is also a lot more to make up in acting, since you may have to make a 20 year old, look 50 and so on.

As noted, during your first few years, most of your classes will be English, Math, Science, maybe a foreign language, things required for most majors.

The amazing thing about a college major, is that you really take such a small amount of classes. 30 university hours of your major, is only about 10 classes, University does not train you normally for a job, it educates you about things so you can learn more when you find a job.

No where in the BS and my Masters in Criminal Justice, did they teach me to arrest someone, teach me how to handcuff them, or block a knife attack. I learned about history of police, how laws are formed, and about ethics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I double major while in college [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently going to college so I can become a nurse. I am finishing up my prerequisite courses, I'm just completing my Microbiology course and Physiology course this semester. There is a lottery system for the nursing program and they only allow 50 students per semester. There are over 600...

Switching college major [ 2 Answers ]

Could I possibly go to a college and get my Bachelor's degree in Biology, and transfer to a different college to get my Master's in Marine Biology?

Math Major for College [ 3 Answers ]

What other MAINLY math websites are there please, I am thinking of using my GI Bill to go back to school and I will need all the help I can get, if I start with Algebra 107 I am just going to keep taking math classes all the way through a BA, possibly through a Masters level. Adult education at...

Is this college major in Medical [ 2 Answers ]

Is James Madison A Medical school?

Choosing a College Major [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of transferring from a community college to a university to attain a bachelor degree. I chose to major in Marketing and after talking to various people: college counselors, parents, people who went to college and those that don't, I am completely unsure of myself right...

View more questions Search