Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T_G_I_Bob Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2016, 09:27 AM
    What is the best laptop for me?
    My computer activity is limited to email, banking.finance, viewing TV and movies and web surfing. I need as large a screen as possible but due to hand injury need lightest weigh computer as possible.
    Thank you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 8, 2016, 09:46 AM
    Why lightweight?

I would suggest a separate monitor and wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I have a large Dell 2-in-one, meaning it's both a tablet and a PC - I can use my hand on the screen, or a mouse, as I wish, and it has a tablet type on screen keyboard, so it can be used on a couch or bed with no regular keyboard. I have the screen a foot above the desk, and I have the desk very low to correspond to my short height. That way my shoulders never hunch up and my feet and legs are in better position (on my adjustable chair).

As for your wrist, I would get a short keyboard, one that has no number pad on the right end. Most of us hurt our wrists over time by bending them sideways when using a mouse too far to one side or the other of the keyboard.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2016, 02:51 PM
    Do you need it to be portable or do you just need to do the things your saying on it? If you have no need for it to be portable then you might want to look at desktop versions. Are you opposed to using a tablet?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 05:40 AM
    Shop around, you have a lot of choices. What's your budget?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 08:17 AM
    It all depends on your budget and what you want. I might suggest a Macbook pro. They're expensive, but they're light with everything you would need to do what you want to do. If you're looking for cheap, I would suggest that you go to your local best buy or computer store and look around. There will be options that will suit your needs.

Feb 9, 2016, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Why lightweight?

I would suggest a separate monitor and wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I have a large Dell 2-in-one, meaning it's both a tablet and a PC - I can use my hand on the screen, or a mouse, as I wish, and it has a tablet type on screen keyboard, so it can be used on a couch or bed with no regular keyboard. I have the screen a foot above the desk, and I have the desk very low to correspond to my short height. That way my shoulders never hunch up and my feet and legs are in better position (on my adjustable chair).

As for your wrist, I would get a short keyboard, one that has no number pad on the right end. Most of us hurt our wrists over time by bending them sideways when using a mouse too far to one side or the other of the keyboard.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thank you for your reply. I realize I did not give enough information in my original post.

I use a laptop because I travel frequently and live in different counties which makes a desktop impractical.
    I sprained my wrist from stupidly moving my Toshiba tank with one hand and then developed arthritis. I use the pad and not a mouse.
    I can do without a DVD player but need a large screen and keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Shop around, you have a lot of choices. What's your budget?
    Thanks for your reply. I have not yet set a price range.

Feb 9, 2016, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Do you need it to be portable or do you just need to do the things your saying on it? If you have no need for it to be portable then you might want to look at desktop versions. Are you opposed to using a tablet?
    Thanks for your reply. I addressed the need for a laptop in my previous response. I don't know much about tablets. I looked at a couple once and they appeared to be too small. I will look again.

Feb 9, 2016, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    It all depends on your budget and what you want. I might suggest a Macbook pro. They're expensive, but they're light with everything you would need to do what you want to do. If you're looking for cheap, I would suggest that you go to your local best buy or computer store and look around. There will be options that will suit your needs.
    Thanks. I have not yet set a budget. I don't need a lot of the whistles and bells that are offered. I could use a camera and mike for Skype which my Tosh does not have but that is about it. Large enough keyboard for my hands, my wife has an Acer Aspire and I have a terrible time with the keyboard. I am not a Mac fan. I have been looking at Best Buy for ideas but those folks are sales people first and always seem to steer me to the highest priced offerings. Basically I want the lightest weight laptop with an adequately sized screen. I am thinking HP might be the lightest.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 02:07 PM
    Most common laptops are 15 inch and the larger ones are mostly 17 inch. You might want to check a few places online to see what attracts you.

Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com

www.tigerdirect.com

then also check amazon for pricing too.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 10, 2016, 08:46 AM
    I would look at refurbished dealers in your area as well. They would have some great machines at not that much.

The problem you're going to have is you want a feature that is inherently expensive: Light Weight. That is going to come with some bells and some whistles.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 10, 2016, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    I would look at refurbished dealers in your area as well. They would have some great machines at not that much.

The problem you're going to have is you want a feature that is inherently expensive: Light Weight. That is going to come with some bells and some whistles.

One missed oppertunity is to visit pawn shops as they usually have laptops at fair prices. But you have to know what you want and be willing to bargin if the price isnt what you want for the item.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 11, 2016, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    One missed oppertunity is to visit pawn shops as they usually have laptops at fair prices. But you have to know what you want and be willing to bargin if the price isnt what you want for the item.
    Pawn shops aren't bad, but you have to be REALLY careful. Also the technology is usually quite a bit older, so you're really still getting what you pay for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What convertible laptop (laptop+tablet) can I buy that will play football manager 201 [ 1 Answers ]

What convertible laptop (laptop+tablet) can I buy that will play football manager 2014 on it?

Can I use dell laptop windows on lenovo laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother purchased dell laptop.he got a windows 7 with it.he installed it on his dell lap top.I want to install win 7 on my ibm lenovo laptop also. Can I install it?what about the cd key?

Can a hard drive from a Compaq laptop fit in a Dell Laptop? [ 2 Answers ]

So here's the thing, I own a Compaq laptop and my screen broke. So instead of buying a new screen, I'm getting a Dell laptop from a friend because his hard drive went out and he doesn't want it anymore. So I want to swap the hard drive from my compaq with the one in the dell. Will it work?

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search