Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 13, 2007, 02:45 AM
    South Asian Manners
    Ok, this is in no way meant to be a racist thread, I am genuinly curious about this...

I've noticed that the majority of posts coming from this area of the World are devoid of any manners, i.e. they do not say please or thank you.

The posts are like "I WANT THIS ANSWER, I WANT IT NOW"

Also in a few threads, when people have answered, they've been given red marks and told "NOT GOOD ENOUGH"

I was just wondering if this is normal in Southern Asian? Are people generally rude due to caste systems and stuff like that or is it a language barrier thing?

:confused:

I also know that some American / UK posters are just as bad!

:rolleyes:
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 06:27 AM
    I don't know that it has to do at all with what area people are from, but more how people are raised. Esp. younger generations, probably around 30 years old and younger... who tend to be very self centered and a tad bit spoiled... not by their fault necessarily, but because, they have not had any significant economic situation that taught them otherwise. (I mean like a depression, or World War, although we are getting kind of close now.)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Hmm. Can't say that I have noticed any ethnicity involved here. I have to agree with alka. Personally, I thought it was a generational and age thing. When I see someone demanding answers, it is usually a young teen. I will have to be a lot more vigilant in noticing where the posts come from and see if it is a cultural thing as you suggest it may be. I'll get back to you on that IAM.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 13, 2007, 04:31 PM
    I would also have to point out I have seen some very polite Asian posts. -- Savage
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Thhaayy, wait justh a cotton picking minute here, you left out those condesthending Canadiansth!
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Apr 15, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Like everyone else, I don't think it has anything to do with culture.

BUT, sometimes, translating from one language to another causes misunderstandings. Maybe a concise and curt translation to English just sounds rude because it is not what we are used to as everyday spoken English. So, sometimes, urgency also comes across as rude? Just a thought.

I'm not sure about the poor rating. That happens a lot, where OP's just go down the thread and rate every post as helpful or unhelpful according to their own definition. Maybe you've just been unlucky?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

South Park [ 2 Answers ]

What town in Colorado inspired the fictional town of South Park?

Preschooler-poor table manners [ 5 Answers ]

I run a small preschool, and I have a new student, he is 3 1/2 years old. He is a very, very slow eater, and he does not eat very much at meals. But while he is eating he rocks back and forth, is constantly moving, opens his mouth to show me what he has chewed, he also talks a lot and plays...

South carolina [ 2 Answers ]

I was served a judgement today for a old credit card debt I live in South Carolina it was with providian bank and cach llc has it now. They would call me I hadn't worked in 4 years and was disable trying to get my disability they would not take payments they wanted the whole amount and I counldn't...

American Married to Asian can I claim my wife? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an American married to a Filipino... We were married May 27, 2006 in the Philippines... She is still in PHi awaiting spousal visa and has never been to USA... All of my income was produced in USA... Can I claim her as a dependent? Thank you for your input

View more questions Search