Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2016, 02:58 PM
    2013 Corolla oil change
    Changed the oil in my Corolla for the first time. The filter container was supposed to have, according to YouTube, a little retaining clip to keep it from somehow backing out. I can't imagine how that could happen, but at any rate, mine did not have the clip, nor did the new filter cartridge have one with it. Is that normal?

Might add that this filter arrangement is the dumbest thing I have heard of. Why they would depart from the old standard of a screw on cartridge is just amazing to me.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 7, 2016, 03:34 PM
    Sounds whack, and couldn't find it online so can only suggest a junk yard or local pick and pull and see if the may have the make and model Toyota you need or >UGH< a dealer.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2016, 06:00 PM
    Toyota does it so more people will feel intimidated to do oil changes themselves and will be more inclined to take it to the dealer for servicing.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2016, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Toyota does it so more people will feel intimidated to do oil changes themselves and will be more inclined to take it to the dealer for servicing.
    So does it need the clip? I can see where one would go, but I have been having a local oil change company change it and there was not one there when I did it myself. I can't imagine how that case could possibly back out, but that is what the clip was supposed to prevent.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2016, 02:47 PM
    Did you buy a OEM filter or an offbrand one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvsbO0QeimU
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2016, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Did you buy a OEM filter or am offbrand one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvsbO0QeimU
    Fram filter
    Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 08:07 AM
    Hmmm... you haven't had any oil leaks so far(?) without the clip have you, so why expect any in the future?
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 01:55 PM
    The video shows an OEM filter so it may be that that part is not standard in non-OEM filters.
    Expert

Feb 9, 2016, 03:10 PM
    From what I gather CDad, the clip is attached to the car and holds the filter housing in place. Keeps it from unscrewing.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2016, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    From what I gather CDad, the clip is attached to the car and holds the filter housing in place. Keeps it from unscrewing.
    Correct, talaniman. No leaks. It did not have the clip when I replaced the old one, so I assume it is not needed, but it is a little peculiar. I guess it is just wait and see. I don't expect it to leak, but just want to be sure I have it right.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2016, 09:16 PM
    So far, so good. Evidently the clip is not required.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2016, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    So far, so good. Evidently the clip is not required.
    If the manufacturer put it there and it has a reason to then it is required by the manufacturer. Does that mean it wont function without it ? Apparently not. But if it were me I would get an OEM filter for my next oil change and make sure to install the ring.

By not installing what is recommended then you assume the liability for the resulting failures should they occur. You never really know what can happen.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2016, 11:00 AM
    Fret not my friend you are perfectly safe. I have never seen one back off as long as the Oring was installed. However, I have seen a lot of aftermarket filter cartridges "crushed" when installed due to improper fit.
    Going with OE filter is the name of my game.

Quote:
    Might add that this filter arrangement is the dumbest thing I have heard of. Why they would depart from the old standard of a screw on cartridge is just amazing to me.

Not really if you are a high volume car & truck maker as Toyota is. Let's face it, they're everywhere! And they all need the oil changing.
    If you've ever seen the dumpsters full of oil filters at a high volume dealerships or quick lube joints just from one week, you'd see what I mean. What do they do with them all? Where do they all get dumped at? What does that do to our environment?
    To sum it up, those little paper filters tossed out nowadays at Toyota sure save tons of mess. In Fact, the whole car is now designed and built to be recycled. Just like the used oil.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2016, 01:27 PM
    Cartridge filters were the norm in this country, from the late 1940s to the early 1960s. Do-it-yourselfers were glad to see them replaced by screw-on canister filters--less mess and easier to change. Cartridge filters are very retro. I like Toyotos a lot, but this is not one of their better ideas.

Unlike airplanes and helicopters, where safety wiring and such are necessary, I see little need for the safety lever on Toyoto's oil filters. On a little Corolla, there's practically zero chance of the filter really loosening, particularly if the O-ring is replaced, lubricated, and installed properly, and the filter is tightened sufficiently. The safety levers main purpose, in my opinion, is to serve as an intimidation factor and cause a certain percentage of customers to take their Toyotos to the dealer for servicing.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2016, 05:15 AM
    Two oil changes later, we have no problems. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Not using a clip, but I'm thinking I might just make one out of some sheet metal just to be on the safe side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just had a baby on may 13 2013 and I got my depo shot June 24 2013 [ 1 Answers ]

I have been bleeding for 3 weeks and I have had a lot of blood clots and lots of painful cramping I'm steel bleeding heavy and I just want to no did I have a miscarriage

Oil change... [ 2 Answers ]

Why can I not find a drain plug for oil... If has one where is it?

Oil change [ 1 Answers ]

Need to know what kind of oil goes in a 8hp riding mower! It is an old one!

Honda 2013 Riding mower blowing oil [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Honda Harmony riding lawnmower Model # 2013. I purchased the service manual for it but the troubleshooting guide in it is for crap. Here is my story: I bought this mower second hand... the guy I bought it from has three small kids... one of them (unknown to the previous owner (or...

View more questions Search