Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DavidALeach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2016, 10:37 AM
    Hull cleaner
    Is it safe to mix hydrochloric acid (36%), phosphoric acid (45%) and oxalic acid (5%) in a water solution?
    The mixture will be used to remove hard clay deposits from the hull of a boat. Can you recommend a gel in which the mixture could be suspended to make application possible by brush?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 8, 2016, 08:20 AM
    How big is your boat and what's the hull made of? A boat wash is where most people go and use a high power wand washer and then soap. About where are you and where do you plan to wash your hull?

Bet an RV wash may even be useful.
    DavidALeach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2016, 09:13 AM
    The boat is a bilge keel 8 metre yacht that's been craned out of the water. I'ts been high-pressure/temperature steam/water jet-washed. I'm in the Thames estuary which is notorious for its sticky clay and each year or so boat/yacht owners face the same problem of preparing their hulls for a new anti-foul coat. It takes a lot of elbow grease and scraping. In the US there is a brand of hull cleaner with hydrochloric, oxalic and phosphoric acids that works exceptionally well in similar circumstances but is unavailable here in the UK. I will become a local hero in my marina if I crack this perennial problem - a lot of my pals will be saved numerous aches and pains from the odious marathon of scraping and sanding come the spring.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2016, 10:37 AM
    Have you tried to get in touch with the manufacturer in the U.S. and see if you could become a distributor. It might work out to be a good side job if not banned from the U.K.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happened? Purple hull peas [ 1 Answers ]

I followed instructions to a T for canning purple hull peas. Pressure cooked at 10 lbs. for 40 minutes. After about 3 or 4 days all of them are jelled like. They are still sealed I ate some and they tasted fine. They are about 3 weeks old now. I'm just wondering is this normal or not....

Best vacuum cleaner? [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about buying a new vacuum cleaner and would like a recommendation on one that you have found to be good at really suctioning up the dirt. Price is not a factor.

View more questions Search