Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2016, 02:56 PM
    Tax on foreign CD account interest
    Hello,

How do I calculate interest obtained from a foreign bank CD account if the CD hasn't matured yet? Is paying tax on the interest earned at maturation an option?

Also, is there a provision to reduce taxes due to losses incurred by exchange rate deprecation?

Please let me know.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 03:49 PM
    You can claim the interest that has accrued using an amortization table, OR you want wait until the CD matures and claim the interest at that point in time. Your Choice!

The loss incurred during to change exchange rates is a different calculation entirely. Such a loss is claimed on Schedule D.
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2016, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You can claim the interest that has accrued using an amortization table, OR you want wait until the CD matures and claim the interest at that point in time. Your Choice!

The loss incurred during to change exchange rates is a different calculation entirely. Such a loss is claimed on Schedule D.

Thanks for the reply. Can I claim loss incurred due to exchange rate fluctuation without repatriating the amount back to USD? What I mean is I don't want to bring my money back but just want to leave it in the foreign account.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2016, 11:11 PM
    In order to claim such a loss, you must actually experience the loss by converting the money from rupees to USD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FBAR and interest from money in someone's else foreign bank account [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's father has a foreign bank account in which my wife has deposited 50% of the funds. 50% of the money is hers but the bank account is not in her name and she has no signature authority. FBAR Does my wife need to report this account on her FBAR? Interest earned The interest from...

Interest earned on foreign account - do I have a problem? [ 4 Answers ]

My grandparents who lived in France opened a bank account for me many years ago that I didn't know about. Very little money was ever deposited in the account while my grandparents were alive. My mother (who also lives in France and is a french citizen) recently made me aware of the account and...

J1 with resident alien tax status - how to file interest from foreign bank account? [ 3 Answers ]

I was on a J1 visa in the US in 2010 but it was my third year, which makes me resident alien for 2010 taxes. As resident I need to file form 1040, including interest earned on my home bank account (in Germany) - I filed 1040EZ first but it is indicated that I have to use 1040 if my total amount of...

Foreign interest income from a joint account with a parent [ 1 Answers ]

I have interest income from an account that I share with my Mother as a joint holder from a foreign country I am a citizen of (My mother is both a citizen and a resident of the foreign country). The account states her as holder number 1 and me as number 2 on the certificate. I currently file taxes...

State tax for Ohio for foreign capital gain and foreign earned interest on the amount [ 4 Answers ]

Does one have to pay state tax on foreign capital gain and foreign interest that was earned during that year?

View more questions Search